Won't start

A

Anonymous

I'm starting to get frustrated now. I got my motor running very briefly last Sunday. It ran very smoothly but the idle was somewhere around 1200 rpm. So I ran inside to get my timing light and all of my other equipment I would need to start tuning but when I returned to the car it was dead.

I thought at first it was a fuel delivary issue but that checks out well.

Now, I'm stuck and don't know where to start. All I get know when trying to start the engine is a *bang* and fuel sprewing through the carburetor every few seconds. It cranks but no fire.

I checked all the electrical and found nothing. Could it be my coil? The DS II module? I'm thinking it has to be something in this area because all of the other electrical equipment works fine. How can I check these items?

-Chris

HI
Not knowing what you have done to the motor,, rebuilt, head work, or what..
I would start by checking the timming for tdc. if it ran for a while I don't think its 180 off. So I would find TDC and see where the dizzy is pointing. (may not have been tight and sliped)
points adjustment (if it has them)
Then check valve adjustment.
hope this helps
Tim

Chris,

Try starting fluid. Spray some into the carb. If the engine starts it is a fuel problem of some sort. You can be out of gas and still pump fuel with the accelator pump. This can occur (trust me I know the hard way, and I did not believe it either) because for the car to run the jets need the right fuel level in the bowl. Pumping the throttle may squirt gas in the carb even when you are out of gas. This is becasue the acceleator pump can use the very last gas in the bowl which the jets cannot use. The car stopped running when the jets cant get gas, thus leaving some gas in the bowl that the accelator pump can pump. This gives the false impression that the gas supply is adequate. When this happened to me it took some time to figure out. Put three gallons in the tank and the problem was solved.

Alternatively, the float could be stuck and the car flooded. Pull a spark plug and see if it is wet. While it is pulled check for spark.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Dave

While the plugs are out check the compression with a gage.
The three basics for a gasoline or lpg engine to run:
1 compression
2 fuel and air (you always have air)
3 spark

1 and 3 have to be timimed somewhat close together.
Jim

Okay guys...I'm officially stuck.

I've checked everything that I can except for spark. Last night after reviewing all of the basic procedures needed in order to get my engine running, I came up with this conclusion - no fire. Plenty of gas but no spark to light it.

I'm setting in the drivers seat and looking at the carburetor waiting for a backfire - again. I just know it will happen. Crank, crank, crank. Well, it did, once. I sat back and almost cried.

Then after a few minutes of venting my frustrations I thought...wait a minute...where's the smoke. I mean if it was truely a backfire, wouldn't there be smoke. Then I remembered that I never saw any smoke - just gas spitting out in a small vaporous cloud.

Ha! I am not getting a spark! Something is wrong with the ignition system but what?

So, this is where I am now. How do I check for spark? I am getting power from the battery to the coil but I don't know if the coil is bad? How do I check the plugs, wires, the coil, DS II module?

Thanks.

-Chris

HI
If you have a timming light hook it up the the #1 plug or any of them. point the light so you can see if it flashes if it flashes you have spark. If not then pull a wire put a small screw dirver in it and put it close to metal have someone crank it over while you watch for spark. Or If you don't have someone to help turn the key on and jumper the sylinoid.
If it keeps back fireing throu the carb. I would think timming or a intake valve open (intake valve open (stuck or other wise) is the only way it can push back throu the carb) timming being off (advanced I think) would allow a intake valve to be open. Sloppy or worn timming chain also.
If it back fires throu the carb you should see flame if there is spark not just gas I would think.
Hope this helps.
Tim

Thanks Tim but all I see is gas never a flame.

If I have some time this evening I'm going to start checking for spark. It just got too cold last night to go any further after the sun set. :cry:

-Chris

Also if y0u havent checked yet.
make sure your points are opening and closing.
Pop cap and turn motor over and watch for spark maybe they have slipped as well..
Point Dwell (gap) well effict timming . I;'m guessing but I think about .018 of gap or I think 28deg. of dwell for points and thats with the points on the high point of the lob. In olden days I have used a match book cover for the gapping the points not real acurate but would work in a pinch.
one other thing to try just for sh ts and giggles pore some gas in the carb small amount (paint cap size) and see if it starts.. or atleast trys better. accelerator pump may be shot and a cold the motor won't start with out a shot of gas (I know you checked it.) But you never know.
Good luck
Tim

Well, I switched over to a Duraspark II setup sense the rebuild. I made the mistake of not keeping the original distributor setup after the car ran the first time sense the rebuild. And it's getting plenty of fuel to the carburetor and I'm sure some gas has starting pooling below the carb in the intake. I've seen that happen before.

The more I think about this problem the more I begin to appreciate a working engine - whatever the number of cylinders.

-Chris

Back