Another mechanic that I won't go to...no I6 knowledge...

CobraSix

2K+
VIP
Well, I have been hearing about this great mustang place, just up the road from me. Very highly recommended. So I went there because he does custom exhausts. I told him what I had and we went out to take a look. I had the car running (see my starter posts). He told me he would just put some flowmaster 40s on there. This is after I told him I want it quiet. He then told me that my engine will not push enough air through a flowmaster to make it loud, no matter what. I told him I didn't want to sound like a Civic, those flow less air and are very loud with flowmasters. He also told me I should just dump the six as I'll never get anything out of it.

At that point, I close the hood. Thanked him for his time, and told him I was going to go to a more knowledgable mechanic. He just gave me this disgusted look and grunted.

I did eventually find a shop, and the guy thought it was cool to keep the 6.

Slade

don't go with the flowmasters. I got talked into the flowmaster and they said it would not be loud and have a nice deep rumble but guess what - IT"S TOOOOOO LOUD!!!

now i have to spend additional to replace a brand new muffler. I like the deep ilde sound but would rather have a quiet car that i can talk to someone in without having to "what did you say"

anybody want to buy a slightly used flowmaster 40 series with delta flow?

got to admit it does sound nice when it idles though!

john

I don't like the Flowmaster on my car either. Ok at idle, and a nice roar at wot, but it drones at 1500, 3000, 4500 rpms. very crappy sound.

I don't plan on going with one, but this guy kept telling me that it wouldn't be loud. I kept telling him that I've talked to people with similiar set ups as mine that hate it because it is too loud. He kept telling me I was wrong, and I left because he wasn't listening.

Slade

Yeah, sometimes the best way to vote is with your feet. Or accelerator.

Slade, this is the same attitude I am experiencing here in the Seattle area. I am looked at and talked to like I am a complete idiot when questioning a shop on the rebuilding of my 200. I have yet to find a shop that takes me seriously but I will not give up.

The hard part is to remember to be polite and thank them for their time. How do you do it?

Ric.

I found that the book helps with credibility at the machine shops, they assume your talking out your A??, but when you show them that your info is researched some will listen. The guy doing my engine asked to use the Falcon Performance book during the build, I think I'll give it to him at the and buy another. Mine even got excited about the build and is doing all he can to make this as good as possible. He wants to go with me after the break-in to have it Dyno'd. Keep looking, I've found the right mech. is worth waiting for, this is suppose to be fun. Craig

Wow, sounds like I'm lucky with the 2 mechanics I use. The 1st one even likes the old Autolite carb that came on my car. The other one used to race Mustangs small time back in the day. That guy has done work for me for just parts cost before. When I first bought my car, the PO had done all kinds of junk to it. I took it to the 2nd guy and I think he really enjoyed working on it. I'm afraid his health is getting bad though.

I dont know if my machinist likes my wacky projects more or my wallet! ;)

All I know is he always smiles when I come trucking in the door with more parts and he's never told me to swap to a 8!! :D :D :D

Guess I'm just lucky!!!

Later,

Doug

I have some luck with my garage because the owner has an old Rolls with a straight 8. In fact, he only trusts one other mechanic besides himself to do the work on the engine.

Now, the machine shop that he has used for the head work is a different story. Every time I talk to them, they sound like they think I'm crazy (but have never told me so).

Slade,

I guess it just depends on what you are looking for. I have 2 Flowmasters on my six, and enoy the sound. Although I am somewhat used to it, since you should hear what my 911 sounds like. Its a totally different sound, very pleasent..(its got 6 too).

Although I do hate those really loud pickups with about 10 inch dualie pipes...

Good call walking out on the guy..

Bill

I have a real good mechanic. He builds full on custom cars for fun and then sells them about 3 weeks later when he's bored with them. Right now he has a glass Willys coupe and a SCal box frame to play with.
The guy and his son are real gentlemen. They are kind of in this zen zone where they really want to do a good job.
Right after I put my rebuilt six in, I took it out to stand on the pedal one time. It was digging in real well and then I got this buzz from under the seat. Real bummed I was, let me tell ya. I took it to him, told him about the noise and he said, really sympathetically, "Oh that's too bad. I know how you feel." And this is a guy who built up a show and go top fuel dragster for fun. He's not cheap, but it beats getting the sneer and the dig for low bucks.
Right across the street is an alignment shop where the guy started on Mustangs. He's the only guy who can do a good job in the pit. All the other guys just run the computer.

My machinist enjoyed working on my 250, it gave him a break from working on 350 chevys. And I was very impressed with the guy I had grind my crank. I walked in the door and he looked at the crank and said, "Oh, a ford six banger, looks like a 250, right?" I find many guys around here like working on a straight 6 because they are not very common, and even less common to find an owner that wants to keep it.

One thing that might help: contact your local chapter of the Falcon Owners Club. They're almost everywhere, and they usually know the good mechanics around.

ludwig":q9m9duwl said:
I have a real good mechanic. He builds full on custom cars for fun and then sells them about 3 weeks later when he's bored with them. Right now he has a glass Willys coupe and a SCal box frame to play with.
The guy and his son are real gentlemen. They are kind of in this zen zone where they really want to do a good job.
Right after I put my rebuilt six in, I took it out to stand on the pedal one time. It was digging in real well and then I got this buzz from under the seat. Real bummed I was, let me tell ya. I took it to him, told him about the noise and he said, really sympathetically, "Oh that's too bad. I know how you feel." And this is a guy who built up a show and go top fuel dragster for fun. He's not cheap, but it beats getting the sneer and the dig for low bucks.
Right across the street is an alignment shop where the guy started on Mustangs. He's the only guy who can do a good job in the pit. All the other guys just run the computer.

sorry to copy whole quote but that is what I wanna do soon...

I am thinking of someday getting a crate engine and utting in a pickup from the 40's 50's..

if I ever win the lotto, I am going to Wyo-tech or something and learning hotrod building

Ive got 50 series flows, they sound freakin awesome. Not too loud to me, but they are noticable. Doent sound anything like a Honda, unless hondas are runnin 351's all of a sudden. People dont believe me when I say its a six, I often have to pop the hood to prove it.
Matt

Something reminded me of a mechanic in Sydney. His cell number ends in 153624. I guess that speaks for itself.

Back