3 Qwik Offy Questions -- What's Better?

65DropTop

One: What carbs will work with the Offenhauser Intake Modification -- I know the Autolite 1100 will, but what about a set of Webers or Carter YFs?

Two: What happens to mileage and performance with a tri-carb set up? (I have a 65 Mustang -- possibly 66 engine block -- daily driver that I intend to modify with an exhaust port divider, 6 into 2 headers, a mild cam if not stock cam, and a T5 tranny.)

Three: Is the Australian head (or similar modification) significantly better than the the Tri Head set up?

Hey, Thanks. I am a nuuubee to engine mods.

65Five Drop Top

Take a look at the whole tri-flow string. You'll find a whole lot of food for thought there.

well, if you stay off the gas, you mileage won't be changed much since the linkage is progressive. generally, the outer carbs wont really come in until above 2000 RPm.

As far as which is better....who knows? I am about to pull my offy set up off in favor of the aussie, so I may be able to offer insight later.

The Aussie head I think will give better low end torque then the Offy, but I think the offy will get better upper end HP.

Slade

I think Slade is correct (in theory) on the mileage/HP differances with the possible exception of a multi-carb setup on an Aussie head which should be easier to produce exotic intakes for (since it is not integral to the head)

I really didn't notice an decrease in mileage with my Offy.

See Ya,
Mike

Mike, yeah, I was refering to the 250 2V head, nothing fancy like AzCoupes 3 SU intake. The 250 2V has some nice long runners which usually helps with torque.

Slade

8) properly set up and driven, mileage wont change much, if at all. however when you hot rod it, like i know you will, then you might need stock in exxon :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Back