Pertronix w/ MSD box: belt and suspenders?

ludwig

2K+
VIP
Supporter 2018
I was at the local speed shop and looked at the MSD demo structure. Asked what the box would run for my 66 200 w/ Pertronix II and a Flamethrower. "Just hook it up to the Pertronix." "No new distributor?" "Naah. It'll do fine." He claimed the Pertronix was just a switch and the box was downstream, between the DZ and the spark plug.
This must be a little simplistic and I need clarity before I burn out something. Any help out there?

Basically, he is right.

The pertronix provides the signal to the MSD box, the MSD box provides the signal and voltage to the coil. It is very easy to hook up to a pertronix unit (MSD that is). You don't need a new dizzy or anything else.

Slade

That's good news. I have a little irregularity at idle. I wonder if the MSD will even it out. Everything is running sweet and I don't want to degrade it, just smooth out the little bumps. I've already checked out the diagrams on the tech pages. Just no one had a post about the two together.

The MSD installation guide has a specific page for hooking it up to Pertronix. If yours doesn't come with one, let me know and I can scan mine for you.

Slade

I'm a weekend warrior mechanic myself (that means if you can bolt it on, I can do it, but that's about it!). I added the MSD6A and blaster coil to my existing Pertronix/stock dizzie setup in my 64 F100 in 20 minutes (took longer to mount the box than it did to wire it).

As Cobra said, there are specific instructions in the MSD box for the Pertronix setup...

piece of cake. Have fun

Thanks all y'all. I got the box today and the instructions are remarkably clear.

Back