electric fan

ludwig

2K+
VIP
Supporter 2018
What size electric fan is appropriate for a stock 200 with exhaust headers? I know I can hook it up from the other string. Just what size and push or pull (in front of or behind stock readiator)? I don't have any overheating problems right now.

HI

:LOL:
push or pull (in front of or behind stock readiator)
Kind of funny If you mount it in front of the radiator it well be a pusher, and if you mount it behind the rad then it well be a puller.. :LOL:
For a 6 I can't figger it would have to be very big of one. I know someone will be able to answer you Q I just had to thro in my comment.
no hard feelings right.. :shock:
Tim

I understand most mfrs rec's are to have a shrouded puller, if possible. Either requires satisfactory means of disposal of hot air! Weeds or MarkP can elucidate, but there are risks of "becalming" at the nose of the car, under certain conditions, and zero throughflow is a problem, eh? Anyone got any CFM calcs for electric vs belt driven?

Adam.

Either a 14" or 16" will work for a pusher fan. I forgot what size mine is....I could measure it tomorrow if you want me too?

I havent found any large (12" plus) puller fan that would work because of the water pump pulley/radiator clearance issues.

Later,

Doug

As I understand it, the fan is most neccessary when the ambient airflow is low at low speeds and becomes increasingly less neccessary as the velocity of the air moving through the radiator rises as the car speeds up. A pusher fan in a shroud turning at a given speed will become a barrier to the incoming air if it is pushing air slower than the air wants to flow naturally. This is similar to a spinning bicycle wheel in a crosswind. It becomes no more than a big disk not a collection of wires on a hoop.
The shroud area has to admit enough air when the the fan stops moving at high speed. That is why I ask. Maybe a fan with no shroud. Mustangs+ has one but it is expensive with all the switch gear and stuff.

I'm running a 16" pusher without the stock mechanical. At speed the car pretty much keeps itself cool, so the fan shuts off and spins freely (as fast as the wind pushes it). No problems so far, but I have yet to go through a summer.

LUDWIG, I HAVE USED A 12" PULLER FAN BY FLEX-A-LITE THIN PANCAKE-STYLE ON A NON A/C APPLICATION. THE FAN IS SOLD BY SUMMIT PART # FLX-110 IT IS A PULLER WITH AN ADJUSTABLE THERMOSTAT. IT HAS ENOUGH CLEARANCE FOR THE WATER PUMP TO GO ON A 200 OR SMALLER SIX. I LIVE IN SOUTH CAROLINA & HAVE NO PROBLEMS WITH OVERHEATING. THIS FAN IS ONLY 2 1/4 THICK.
HOPE THIS HELPS ON YOUR DESISION. RESPECTFULLY
WILLIAM AMBLER WSA111 :D

I found the same one for 127.95 in the PAW catalogue. What does Summit want for the rig? PAW also had adjustable switches w/ relays as an accessory.

FLX-110 $119.95 at Summit. Not sure if you chaps have to pay a handling fee in addition to freight.

Adam.

ludwig;

At NAPA (for example), fans are rated in 'horsepower handled'. A sample: the 12" fan will cool 60 HP. I added one of FoMoCo's own 12" front-mounted fans from a wrecked Tempo to my 200 Fairmont (Cost me $10 from the boneyard). When stuck in heavy traffic, it's just the ticket.

I also changed to a clutch-type mechanical fan, replacing the original flex-fan. At low speeds, the flex fan does not affect HP, but at high engine speeds it can, because it never 'lets go' of the belt drag. The first thing I noticed after the change was that I could climb the very steep hill near my house at 7 MPH faster in 2nd gear, which is a BIG change. My gas mileage got better, too.

If you have a Mustang, the fan clutch trick may be difficult to pull off, because the Fairmonts have about 1" more clearance between the water pump and radiator. But, if you can do it, it's well worth the trouble.

I wanted to replace the regular fan all together. You added and now have 2 fans? I want one only for the whole HP package. I've got about 2.5" and a regular radiator. Bigger fan? 3 row radiator?

Back