Weirdest Log Intake Manifold Ideas?

mustang6

1K+
VIP
Something I read on this site reminded me of the weirdest log head modification I ever saw. About 15 years ago I saw a log head six in a Falcon at a car show and the guy had tapped/threaded the casting holes (that are normally plugged) at each end of the log, bolted on a threaded cap over the center carb hole, and used cast iron water pipe (with threaded elbows and all) to connect these three openings to a homemade plenum box that sat alongside the log head. On this box he had a Holley 4 bbl. I asked him how it ran and he said it bogged a bit at low speeds but ran great at high RPMS. He claimed he was getting a "ram charging" effect with the long "runners" but I doubted it with the 90 - 120 turns the intake charge was taking at the ends of the log head.

Anyone ever try anything like this?

sorta like this??? sounds like it could be a pretty good idea actually if build right...i guess...cause then wouldnt the last 2 cylinders get a bit more fuel for a bit better distribution...would the fuel take to long to get to the log??? or would it be good cause of better fuel evaporization??? maybe the reason his bogged so much in low speeds cause his carb was too much...makes sense to me since he says it runs good at high speeds...if it was a case of not getting gas to the cylinders wouldnt it run worse at high speeds....kindof a neat idea...what if the box was placed in the middle of the car so the carb is in the middle for a proper scoop....and just have the tubes made to work with that....actually that is kinof fastinating as it doesnt require shaving the top of the head flat or anything...just bolt the box to the existing carb mount...then take out the end plugs and tapthem...then screw in some pipe and weld it up and make it so u can take it all apart if u dont want it later....hmmmm...any other thoughts....thanks for the thread Mustang6....i could certainly see getting around to doing this quicker than redoing my entire head...if the plan is sound enough of course...

thing.bmp

That's something like an Offy tri-flow with one carb; inducing the mix at a different point. But the Gomer Pyle aspect is way up there. Fuel intake with spare water pipes.
Maybe one could chop the log off on the vertical plane, as one of our number has already done, tap the remaining throats, thread in six NPT to sweat copper nipples and solder up a big ol' honkin' fuel log with like 2" Type L copper tubing and high temp solder.

Hmmm. Wonder what I've got out behind the garage?

maybe do that idea up there but leave the carb on the log to keep the distribution equal?

if u left the carb on the log how would u get gas to the end cylinders??? the sweet thing about shaving the top of the intake and bolting on adapters is that u can do any combination of carbs u want....u can make several aluminum plates that bolt on and each one can be different....but that does require some work....that idea though of threading the ends of the log seems quite smart to me....although it does make the gas from the carb or at least the pipes going to the end cylinders take a while to get to the chambers.....maybe it could work as a real tall carb spacer... :LOL: sorry the pics are so large....

other_thing.jpg

thingy.jpg

Back