Carb/FI? What is this and will it work on an inline six?

mustang6

1K+
VIP
In my many years of attending swap meets and keeping an eye open for anything one or two bbl. that might fit in the intake of a 200, I bought this at one but never figured out exactly what it was, what it was from, and if it could be run on a 200. Can anybody out there identify this?

It says SES in a number of places, is a one-barrel device bolted to a two bbl. adapter (easily removed to mount on a one bbl.). The switch turns fuel flow on and off. The fuzzy gray stuff near the top on the outer edge is just duct tape that was apparently used to seal the air filter that came with it.

ses1.jpg

ses2.jpg

ses3.jpg

ses4.jpg

ses5.jpg

ses6.jpg

I'm with the 'wooden topography adjuster' above. It looks kinda like the LPF 150 /Impco 125 LPG base plate. It may be for a producer gas unit, where the gas is introduced by pressure drop.

Don't know about anything else. Red solenoid looks familar. What's it say?

Interesting, I hadn't thought of propane because the fittings appear to be liquid-oriented. The red switch says "GASOLINE 4.5 PSI max", and "HV-180538 1973" on it, as well as "Automana Switch Co. 24/60 5.8W 12 DC 6.4W". It's hard to read, but I think the "n" in Automana has something over it, like a "~" or something.

Opening the throttle blade does seem to increase the amount of "fuel" going to the discharge bar, but there's no real accelerator pump or anything like that. Probably designed for some sort of a more constant RPM engine?

To me it looks a little like an Ellison throttle body injector such as used on small aircraft, but it is not quite the same. Definitely not an Ellison. It appears to have the same sort of spray bar and a mechanism of controlling fuel in conjunction with throttle position.

weird.. Looks pritty damn cool. What does all the writeing on it say.. Im gonna show the old man and find out what he says.

I just found out some info on this "carburetor" I have kept in a box for years- appears it may be an airplane/helicopter carburetor, doesn't use a fuel bowl so that aerodynamic forces don't bother it. It appears some people have adapted this to cars, and it looks like this would bolt right to a 2 bbl adapter....

S.E.S injector carb info
Hi to All

Many years ago, perhaps 20 or more there was a company that produced a carburetor they called the "Injector Carburetor" .

The company name was made up of the letters S.E.S , the last "S" stood for "systems" and I think the "E" may have stood for "energy" or "engineering". I can not recall what the first "S" stood for but the carb was of the same type or class as the Aerovee, Ellison, Posa, ect ect but was physically different in that it had a butterfly in the throat and the variable feed valve was of the rotary type and linked to the butterfly by an adjustable link and this variable feed valve feed a atomizer tube that crossed the throat of the carb and required a pressure of about 3 or 4 lbs feed.

Several years ago I had found 2 or these carbs and sold them to Ed Alderfer and Dave Pike. At that time Dave had a modified dropped keel CLT Bensen with a direct drive Sub EA-81which he installed this carb on.
With this carb installed this was the hottest stock, direct drive Sub that I have ever seen to this day, it really made it perform like a electric fuel injection, but with amazing simplicity.

Dave quit flying gyros years ago and sold this one and a Aircommand that he had and I don't know where they went. I would like to find one of these units for myself if anyone knows where one might be, they were very popular with the "Dunebuggy" boys when they came out, the unit was so versatile that it clamed to be able to adjust to anything from a VW to a 289 Ford, hoping that someone knows of one laying around a Dunebuggy shop somewhere.

That's an SES mechanical fuel injection unit produced in the early 70's. Saw a couple of them installed, but can't remember if they worked well.

So, Jack ... How'd you miss your first diagnosis back in '04? Did you see it subsequently?

I asked a guy on the rotary wing forum to tell me more about how it is adjusted, here is what he said. Apparently he actually has some instructions for this thing and I've asked him for a copy. I just might give this thing a try on a 200 six.

Hi Scott
Actually it's not difficult once you learn how (heh heh) what lools like a "wing nut " shut off valve is actually a adjustable needle valve and you will notice the linkage is adjustable between the throttle plate and the "variable rate flow valve" and the only other adjustment is the idle screw. If I recall right, you start out by setting the "idle adjust screw on the throttle shaft to a rather high idle then try to start the engine and adjust the idle with the needle valve and the idle screw. Once you accomplish idle then you "tune " high by speed playing with the linkage setting between the throttle place and the variable flow valve. Then once you get it to half way idle and half way run, you start the work and fine tune "All" the adjustment as they do interact on one another.

On a conventional automobile you will need a fuel pressure regulator, I think it takes from 1.5 lbs to 2.5 lbs pressure, if you have a gravity feed flow, you want to check the solenoid shut off valve close to make sure it does not "seep" or you will get a flooded engine after the engine is shut off. The variable rate flow valve is a shaft with a variable taper cut on it so when it rotates it increase the opening inside the spray tube across the throat. basically it works on the very same principal as the Aerovee, laker, Posa, ect ect. Once you get it "tuned " it is VERY responsive on acceleration.

I have the original instructions that came with a used SES that I bought some time back.

ludwig":34lhgxm7 said:
So, Jack ... How'd you miss your first diagnosis back in '04? Did you see it subsequently?

This falls into the world of "weird and wacky". You go to a lot of shows and races but it's hard to recall everything you see over the last 40+ years..... :(

I've seen Ellisons on light aircraft engines and those seem to work well. I've seen the SES on at least one VW but again, no clue if it works well or not. Honestlyy, I can't recall which car show it was I saw it at. I'd be skeptical since if they were a great improvement over a standard carb we'd see more of them.

I was just kidding. That happens to me all the time. Look at something once and nothing clicks. Let it rest for five years or so and everything falls into place.

Jack":1l4y8tm1 said:
I'd be skeptical since if they were a great improvement over a standard carb we'd see more of them.

I will be interesting to see how it does. If it is from the early 70's, it was on the tail end of user-serviceable fuel delivery. Sounds kinda fiddly to set up. Not that this is a bad thing. Just that it takes a little time and a little feel for the rig. And with that set-up, it probably needs readjustment now and again. But then, aircraft have to be examined each time they fly, right. Not like cars.

Back