Secondary opening rate

Ronbo

Famous Member
Does anyone know what controls when and how fast the secondary opens on a Holley 5200? Mine seems like it is'nt opening and i'm not sure how to change the rate. There is a spring on the side of the carb and I would guess that controls it???

Should have went with a DGES :( Later!

Ron

they don't open on the 5200 until 2/3 throttle or so. maybe your carb linkage/pedal needs a little adjustment to get teh throttle to open all the way.

nick

The early 5200, the type Stovebolt sells, have a mechanical secondary. It will open at approx 70% throttle. If your's isn't opening, and you have mechanical unit, either your throttle or your secondary linkage needs to be adjusted. Easy to check throttle linkage but be sure to check pedal travel, i.e., don't assume pulling the throttle open from under the hood is the same as steping on the pedal. You can check the secondary at the same time. If you don't have the mechanical unit you probably have a later unit with the electronic fuel metering as well. This unit will work, but it isn't as good a choice as the mechanical carb.

Fun, and educational, these cars of ours.

Steve

I have a feed back 5200 and it is still mechanical. also I jhave a standard 5200. both have identical linkage with the only difference being the choke (water vs electric) and the idle solenoid tingy.

nick

Back