Ultimate 170?

Fingers

A question for everyone
How would you build the ultimate high performance 170 Falcon engine?
There are a few rules first though......
1. Can't exceed 3.0L or about 180 C.I.
2. Must use original '64 or earlier cylinder block casting
3. Must use original head casting
4. Head casting can be modified but welding addition material is not
i.e. big valves, machined, ported, etc but no welding stubs for carb mounts etc. Offy triple set up ok as they are cut/bore and bolt, no weld.
5. No forced induction, E.F.I., or electronic ignition.
6. Multi carb IS allowed (max 6 barrels)
7. Engine would be coupled with a 3 speed gearbox

Your thoughts..........

I'll be watching this one close.....

I hope you get some replies.

Offy tripple is a must.
Port and Polish head.
Deck the block.
cam.
upgrade ignition system.
header
balance the entire rotating mass

Concerning that 3-Speed,are we talking 'on-the-'tree' or,on the floor :eek: ? I LOVE a challenge :eek: :p ! Is this combo for a specific class of racing,or something? Sounds kinda interesting. OO6./The-X-Or-Six!

mmmmm....... I thought there would be heaps of ideas on this,
seeing as we are the type of people to think outside the square :LOL:

You mean like a nitrous kit hidden in the heater box, feeding through the carb base hoses? :LOL:

A 188 to 180-odd destroker? You'd need a '64 200 block. :unsure: What about SU triples on the Offy intake, with the fuel bowls at 90° to normal alignment?

How's that for starters? Blackmail helps, too. Get a lawyer in your pit crew.

With all of those restrictive rules that you specified, you have pretty much already said what you can get away with. About all I can add is to run as much compression as your fuel will allow, big valves with 30 degree seats on the intakes and undercut the stems as small as you dare. And find a good Mallory dual point distributor plus a good hot coil. Have fun!
Joe

Adam, please stop giving away all my sleeper secrets! ;)

whats next, knife-edging the crank counterweights?
fuel injectors hidden inside the carb fuel bowls?

Crank work is a given. Not sure if you have to use a factory casting. If it did run four mains, maybe crude girdles would be in order.

Dual point dual advance ignition?

Id throw on a twin exaggerater system

And make sure the bullshâ„¢tter valve is oscillating at maximum velocity :D

I love the idea. The 170 has acess to a good bore to stroke ratio 1.19:1, just like a 340 Chysler LA, an excellent 1.6:1 rod ratio. Four bearing crank is no liability at all!

The homologation rules need to be understood. A great set of factory Ford US parts, like the Dagham 4-speed used in the US 200 Futuras, 64.5 Mustangs, the Offy triple carbs...man, there is a potential for 200 hp at 5900 rpm, with torque of 200 lb-ft at 4300 rpm. There is nothing to rain on the parade here! If you can make it rev 6500 rpm safely, (and you can), you can power it up! Valve sizes are good, the port sizes are ideal, the Offy flows, and the engine has no items which will break.

Cam has to be an aggressive HX style GTR spec Wade # 391 with soft ramps for solid lifters.

If you can use the 4-speed Zephyr MkIII based 4-speed gearbox, it would be a rocket!

If you cant score the 4-speed without it being a 200 cuber, then just go for the 200 four mainer, and you'll still get 200 hp at 5000 rpm with a similar cam. The 220 lb-ft torque at 3700 rpm would be a gearbox breaker, but the old Capri 3000's used the four speed gears in the Mk III Zephyr 3-speed case. If the casing is 3-speed, and the gearbox ratios are Mustang 64.5, then you've got the ideal Appendix J racer!

How often do you want to rebuild it?
We used to run 14:1 CR on a Holden 202 in the HQ class with single barrell carb.
Needed rings & bearings every 300km.

Yeah, not going to build a Nb XM Falcon..., Mine is street only
Just found that old post and thought I would post a link to that video

Back