Where the heck is the mixture screw?

A

Anonymous

'82 mustang with a 200 one barrel...on all the carbs i've dealt with the screws are right up front, but for the life of me i cannot find one for this carb...there are two screws in the back, one for idle speed, and one that doesn't do much of anything...

little help?

if you have what i have it should say carter for holly or something like that
on the fuel bole .

the air to fuel mix screw should be at the bace of the carb by the EGR plate whare the PVC valve hose comes in at

Good luck :D

Take out the one that doesn't do anything, just to look at it. If it tapers to a point on the end, that's the idle mixture screw. It might not do anything if the idle is set to high. It also might not do much if the main jetting is off too much. Do you know what model carb it is? If you know that, somebody here should be able to tell you exactly where the mixture screw is.

let me go check on the model, i think it's a parts store replacement carb...

eh all i can tell is that it's apparently remanufactured by champion parts, i can't find anything else on it like a model number.

you might try disconnecting the throttle linkage/cable all together and see if the switch that didnt do anything actually does something

I'll look in my manual tomorrow to see where the idle mixture screw is and post its location.

HELLO BRBLX

I BELIEVE IF YOU LOOK YOU WILL SEE A SMALL BRASS SCREW AT THE BASE OF THE CARB. IT WILL LOOK MORE LIKE A BRASS PLUG. IT TAKES A SMALL TROQUX (SPELLING???) DRIVER. IT IS VERY EASY TO GET TOO MUCH GAS AT IDLE.

YOU SHOULD HAVE A SMOG STATION CHECK IT. THIS CARB WILL LEAK VERY EASIALLY AND STALL ON SMOG MOTORS. TOO MUCH GAS WILL GIVE A STRONG GAS SMELL WHEN THE MOTOR IS TURNED OFF. IT WILL ALSO BE HARD TO START.....NEEDING GAS.

THIS YEAR OF CARBS WERE TROUBLESOME!!! I BELIEVE BECAUSE OF THE EXTRA HEAT IN THE AREA!!!

LOTS OF LUCK WITH IT

LIVE IN GRACE

LEROY POLL

checked a haynes manual on holley carbs while in the parts store today. if i'm looking at the exploded diagram right. the mixture screw is recessed into the back and likely covered by some kind of push-in cap.

no wonder i couldn't find it...will check tommorow.

Hi bxblx:

The other screw you mentioned that didn't do anything is either a solenoid screw (used with A/C cars) or it's your high speed idle screw used when the choke is on.
It depends which way the head of the screw is facing. If it's facing the same way as the idle screw then it's the solenoid one, if it's facing opposite of the idle screw then it's the high speed idle screw.
On the Holley 1946 carb, the mixture screw is easily seen right at the base of the carb (on passenger side of carb.). On the Motorcraft carbs the mixture screw is countersunk into the base plate (same location as the Holley) but it takes a small allen key to turn it and sometimes they have a cap on them meaning they are pre-set at the factory. The cap is easy to remove with a small scriber or awl.

Good Luck
John :D

Back