Header to Pipe Gasket

A

Anonymous

I got a Clifford I6 200 header. Bad choice, I know. Anyways, the gasket between the header and the exhaust pipe has blown out after about 3-4 months of use. The original gasket they sent me was a cheap paper one. I am trying to find a new gasket and I have been to Napa and a couple other shops, but noone seems to have one that is the right size. I have 1/3 of my original gasket left and there just seems to be 1/4" too much length between bolt holes when I line it up to gaskets in the package at stores. The last guy I went to today told me that there are only 3 standard sizes of exhaust gaskets like that and mine didn't seem to line up to the only standard gasket that was similar. So now I am stuck. Clifford has tried to be helpful on the phone, but I really don't want another cheap paper gasket from them. Napa had a nice metal one for $10, which is kinda high but not too high if I don't have to climb under the car every 3 months to change it. Has anyone dealt with this before and what did you find? Thanks for any help.

-Dan in Atlanta

You might try going to a good muffler shop and see what kind of gaskets they are using. I've run into the same oddball size problem on other cars, i.e.-could never find good gaskets that fit from A'zone. One trip to the local muffler shop, problem solved. Can't speak as to blown header gaskets, haven't had mine on long enough.

I used to have the same problem on my Clifford header (I bought it used many moons ago for only $15) and the soft metal flange gaskets are the only thing that have worked and held up for me. I was able to find thicker, high quality paper base gaskets of the right size, but nothing lasted longer than about 6 months before I got the metal ones.

The gaskets generally "blow out" because the bolts loosen up. Try some locking nuts (not nylocs - they will melt). Using a good amount of Permatex ultra copper on the gaskets also.

Dan, look in summits cataloge & get the copper gaskets by sce or summit has their own brand copper header collector gaskets. :idea: william

That reply about the loosening nuts makes sense. I noticed when I was taking the bolts off that they were loose, but I attributed it to the new gap due to the gasket being missing. Once I find a gasket I think I will double nut those bolts.

-Dan in Atlanta

Figured I oughta let yall know that I went out and made a cardboard template of my exhaust flange that rides on the pipe. Turns out the remnant of gasket I had was elongated. The regular 2 1/2" ID gasket fits just fine. After that I was able to fix it just fine.

-Dan in Atlanta

Back