Installing engine on trans?

jamerson84

I'm about to install my rebuilt 200 on my old 2.77 3speed. I was just wondering if anyone had a good way of getting the clutch plate to line up with the trans shaft. I don't have a alinement tool yet but if thats the best way to get the clutch to line up with the trans I'll probably go and get one. So if anyone knows good trick to get this job done that would be awsome.
Thanks.

I found a peace of copper tube about 3 1/2in. that fit in the crankcase bearing and put a connector and a little eletrical tape on the end of the copper tube to take up the slack and it seemed to work pretty good. Thanks again for the idea.

Puhleez..... :unsure:

You guys would go thru that much aggravation just to not spend $2.95 on a plastic tool from Autozoo?:banghead:

Go get the proper tool. :stick:

s-e342.gif

Actually, the first time I ever used an alignment tool was when I was working on Slade's car. In the past, I've lined them up by eye. (Too cheap for a tool, I guess)

And if $2.95 is too much money, do what I did. Stop by a transmission shop and ask for used input shaft with a trashed gear. They give those out for free!

Yeah...I had to set Al straight...him and is "eye ball mechanics"...Remember how long it took to fill up the tranny with fluid?

Anyways...go to autozone, get the part. If you are in good with them, like I was, they'll usually have a ring of them of all sizes, and they let me borrow the size I needed. But then again, they saw me like everyweek, and I showed them my car (them and NAPA) so I could get those things.

hehe

Slade

Yes, but when I was working on my car as a young lad, all of my parts came from a local mom-and-pop parts store. AutoZone didn't exist.

Back