weight difference between 302 & 200/250

A

Anonymous

what are the weights of the 3 motors?

My understanding is that a late model 302 = 440lbs,
and the 200 and 250 weigh the same at 380lbs.

Is this correct?

Also how much weight can be saved on the 302 with aluminum heads?

If my numbers are correct and you can save even 40lbs, doesn't that eliminate the only advantage that the the 6 has over the 302 (that being weight)?

380 lbs looks right for the I6. 440 lbs is probably right for the late-model 302... the old ones are around 460 lbs.

Sure, alloy heads will drop the weight of the 302. They aren't cheap, though. They may get you into the weight range of an I6, I don't know. Most likely, you'll still be slightly heavier.

Truth be told, the I6 has no real advantage over a 302 except stock purchase price. Mostly, the I6 is at a disadvantage. Performance upgrades are generally cheap for the 302 and expensive (or non-existant) for the I6. You can spend gobs of money on the I6 and still not be at the performance level of a stock 302. The I6 is really just an underdog, chosen by people who want to be different or who just want to work with what they've got in their vehicle. If you don't care about being different and just want more bang for your buck, get the 302.

-Winston

A fully dressed 302 is closer to 500 lbs, maybe even a bit more depending on type of accessory drives. You can shave about 60 -75 lbs off by switching to alloy heads and intake. By comparison a SBC is 600 lbs in full iron.

A 200 is very light at about 360-380 depending on year and dress. My alloy head hybrid 200 is 45 lbs lighter still.

A 250 is probably 380-400 lbs.

The advantage is in packaging and simplicity.

There you go, it is lighter -- and by more than I thought.

This is an especially important factor in something like the Lotus replica that Jack's building (and what I will eventually build). When the whole car is expected to come out at 1500 lb or less (a lot less in many cases), an extra 50-100 lb off of the front end makes a huge difference in how the car performs. It'll make a noticeable different in how ANY car handles.

-Winston

MustangSix":3ju00rae said:
A 200 is very light at about 360-380 depending on year and dress. My alloy head hybrid 200 is 45 lbs lighter still.

Alloy head hybrid?

Off the fomoco.com website.

170 - 345lbs
200 - 360 lbs
250 - 425 lbs
289 - 465 lbs

Seems that alloy heads, lightweight starter, and battery in the trunk on a 302 will put less weight on the front end than a stock 200. Maybe make it about even if you put on a bigger colling system.

Aussie 351C 2v's weighed in at a massive 719 pounds all up with flexplate, power steering bump and a/c compressor. (Ford Australia workshop manual). But the last ones were often thicker wall NASCAR block castings, and its not stated if this was the weight of this type.

According to Hot Rod, a ready to run 351C 4V weighes in at 582 pounds without power steering and air con. Alloy intake saves over 30 pounds on a 2V. The 351 Windsor HO 4V was 37 pounds lighter measured the same way.(Source was Wheels Magazine article on 351 Falcon GTHO'S in 1983)

The 5.0 Falcon V8, just a Mustang 5.0 EFI with extractors, was 198 pounds lighter than a factory 351C, at 527 pounds ready to run with power steering pump and air con. (Ford Australia press release at the return of the V8 Falcon in 1992.) Even though all alloy, the EFI unit is a bit of extra weight on the carby 302/5.0.

The Aussie cross flow alloy 3.3 or 4.1 in carby form is around 481 pounds, ready to run. No power steering pump. EFI versions were quoted as being 46 pounds heavier, but that was because of the electric fuel pump in the tank, not the engine itself. The alloy head saved 51 pounds on the cast iron variant. That's a heafty 532 pounds for 1976 to 1979 Aussie I6's, not suprising when it had a Cleveland style wide canted polyspherical head.

Then there is the Popular Mechanics article in 1972, which said the US 250 was 530 pounds ready to run.

Info I've seen on the little Ophan Annie 255 "Windsor" V8 was that it was 441 pounds. I just can't recall the source. This may have been without a/c but with power steering pump.

The US 200 and pre 1970 Aussie 200's are like pigmies compared to the 250 cube engines. 1.67 inches shorter, and that's a heap of windowed cast iron, rod and lighter crank that isn't swinging around!

My British Cortina's German Ford V6 runs in at 348 pounds as installed. Injected 2.8 V6's we had in German import Granada and Capri 2.8i were 358 pounds acroding to a British Motor magazine. For any person clever enough to throw an Aussie alloy head on a US 200 never designed to take the splayed pushrod head which fouls the block, my hat goes off to you. To weigh in at the same as a little 2.3 liter V6 is a treat with over 3.3 liters! :beer:

Back