Easy 200 upgrades

A

Anonymous

My neighbor just bought a 66 Mustang fastback with a 200 and I am curious, what easy upgrades can you make to the 200 to get increased power and gas mileage. Is there a 2-barrel setup for this motor, sort of like the super six that goes on a slant-six? I am pretty familiar with Mopar sixes but this is my first shot at a Ford six. Do you have to adjust the valves on this motor like you do on a Slant, and if so, what are the valve lash settings. Has a slight skip at idle that still remains after new plugs, wires, distributor cap, and rotor. I know that adjusting the valves can make a slant real happy and it will probably do the same thing for the 200.

I'm sorry for what follows. It's a hap-hazard hotch potch from an unrepentant Ford Six freak!

Read the Tech section right away, and spend some background time at FSPP website (by AzCoupe)!

Then, buy the Falcon 6 Performance book, and get blessed with grunt!

Then, read all the posts by the Schendahl brothers.

Then read MustangSix's later posts (after Xmas 2003) on desk top dyno runs.

Then start looking at Mustang Geezer, RickSmol, Mustangaroo, CobraSix, I66, yada yada yada!

500 bucks will always get more power on a Slanter than on a 200 Ford. :cry: Sad, but true!

The Slant has mamoth torque with a free breathing head. Any carb is an improvement in top end power. With the 200, just placing a 2-bbl isn't going to move the earth like it does on a Slanter. It must be done as a pakage on the Ford. 200 i6 bolt ons, even with the stock small port head, can give a 20 to 30 hp boost on an already good stock engine, with an improvement in fuel ecconomy as well.

The first issues are routine maintenance issues such as worn timing chain, lifters, oil pump, water pump, ignition, heat stove locked on heating the carb up, worn guides from unleaded gas, valve seat recession. Poor compressions. A 24 hour static leakdown test is the only good way to estabilish its conditon wiothout a head tear down.

You can waste a lot of money on a strip down of the head. If it were me, here is the options I'd look at:-

1.Straight bolt ons like just a 2-bbl Holley Weber with Cifford adaptor on stock head,

2.Duraspark or Petronics I mod,

3.tube headers with Clifford adptor properly pegged in.

4.A two pipe 289 hp style exhast (very cheap, and nice sounding if you don't go too big)

5.new timing chain with stock cam degreed. (Stock morse chain is often totally nerked after even a few miles, with enough slop to upset idle and driveability problems)

6. T5 trans is a good one too. It always the moderate grunt of a stock 200 become a significant factor. It's a very cheap bolt on when you consider the massive improvement in top gear fuel economy and the cheapness of the stock gearboxes from a breaker yard.

7.New water pump and cleaned up cooling system.

There is no point in going any further without bigger cookies being spent.

After those 7 steps, its time to plan fro more extensive head work and some more exotic bolt ons.

The best options are what the Schendahls recomend.

My take on the options without thought of cost, is thsi:

bolt-ons:-

1. T5 Mustang 2.3 5-speed or later Fox SROD or SR4 4-speed manual gearbox! Anything with a stock auto or 3 or 4 speed manual won't allow a stock 90 hp net 200 cube engine give its best!

2. Either

a) Later unleaded head is the single most important bolt on improvement. Stock 1.3 to 1.5" hole in all pre 1970's and most pre 1974 200's had insuficent runner volume and size to make good power. The later heads were very strong, inserted, and breathed well. Decked about 30 thou, with a good gasket, they are unbreakable. Make sure the oil transfer gallaries are still operative after any head plane.

b) 2V Aussie or ME 188 or SP 221 2-bbl heads. (Very expensive, but a long term asset you'll never be sorry getting)

3. electronic igniton for reliability (no real performance boost, but it optimizes the ignition. Older points systems have too many issues, and its easier to get good reliable parts for the later stuff)

4. 2-bbl Ford Autolite, or Holley 2300 carb if direct mount, or 2-bbl Holley/Weber 5200 or 32/36 if Clifford adaptor. Stock 1-bbl carbs like the bigger 250 cube Carter are very good, the 1946 Holley 1-bbl is very good, but not easy to tune. If you don't want a 2-bbl, follow Mark P's posts, an ex Ford ignition engineer

5. Headers. Dual out, single, from Pacemaker, FSPP, Clifford. The port divider Clifford sells is reputed to help by reducing thermal heating of the carby base form the exhast. In itself, it may not give much extra power, but it does after the engine is warm.

6. 3 angle valve grind on the post 78 heads. The later valves are huge.

7. Jacks Engine Analyser runs show the most important to be port pocket blending and exhast ruuner blending.

8. Nitrous oxide. See Mandarina Racing's awesome red Mustang! If your modifed bolt on engine does 115 with the stock head, it will do 170 hp with nitrous. That's a low 14 second pass untill the bottle runs out!

9. Later stainless aftermarket SI valves from FSPP can be very good. Roller rockers are not manadatory, but help valve guide life, especially if you are stepping on it.

Non-bolt ons.

1. decked block. The single most important internal mod you can make.

2. Flat-top pistons from 2.3 HSC Tempo/Topaz or the 4.2 255 Ford V8 pistons if you've got a 250.

3. Lastly, a cam.

A cam on a stock engine won't help a great deal.

The stock engine won't do better than an 18.5 second quarter with the 85 to 91 hp net they came with. (The factory 125 hp tag is gross hp, and there is no difference between a 125 hp 1964 200 and an 85 hp 1984 3.3 in actual power),

With bolt ons, there is about 25% with the low restriction exhast, header , bigger 2-bbl carby ignition and timing chain. That's enough for a sub 17 second blast with about 115 hp on tap.

Please search 80Stang from Finland. He has used imported US bits on hios stock 1981 Fox body Stang, and it has dynoed at 114 hp.

Lastly, Import Killer and Does10's have some interesting bolts ons once you get to the fully rebuilt engine phase. Turbo's can give an additional 65% perforamance boost on a 115 hp modified, or 170 hp nitrous engine.

Here is a 190 hp nitrous oxide Aussie Falcon that does 13.6 second quarters with a stock 200 six, bolt on 500 2-bbl Holley and 3 speed manual.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/426826

If you'd like more, just add a Import Killer or Does 10's exhast manifold, a T04, nitrous, and 280 hp, any one?

Does'nt the 200 have that freaky one piece head/intake manifold. What about the valve lash adjustments. We hope to cure the skip this weekend so he can pick up his girlfriend in it saturday night 8) . Right now it has a 3-speed automatic (C-4?) that slips a little in first gear. I guess a fluid change/band adjustment might fix that. Do these things use Type F like the C-6 in my F-150 ? I think it has 2.76 gears in the rear which enable it to peg out the 110 MPH speedo. It uses no oil and does not smoke any so I guess that means it has good rings/valve seals. Why does the valve head cover on this engine have a wavy edge?

Hydraulic valves, so it just needs the preload set correctly.

The later automatic oil may be okay, I'm not sure. New ATF to the orginal spec, and a filter and gaket renewal should be the first point of call. If it has varnished auto trans fluid which smells, its been over heated. It should be okay with a new refill.

The stock axle was about 2.83:1, from memory, a nice cruisy ratio. The rocker cover has a 10 degree slant to stop oil dribbling all over the exhast, and the wavy bits allow half of the 14 head bolts to be covered with a minimum width of the head. It is very narrow, only 5.5" wide.

Hey X-man! Am I reading this right? You can get all the stuff on the list with $500 dollars or $500 gets the first thing on the list? I forgot.

xtaxi":x5276oq3 said:
1.Straight bolt ons like just a 2-bbl Holley Weber with Cifford adaptor on stock head,

2.Duraspark or Petronics I mod,

3.tube headers with Clifford adptor properly pegged in.

4.A two pipe 289 hp style exhast (very cheap, and nice sounding if you don't go too big)

5.new timing chain with stock cam degreed. (Stock morse chain is often totally nerked after even a few miles, with enough slop to upset idle and driveability problems)

6. T5 trans is a good one too. It always the moderate grunt of a stock 200 become a significant factor. It's a very cheap bolt on when you consider the massive improvement in top gear fuel economy and the cheapness of the stock gearboxes from a breaker yard.

7.New water pump and cleaned up cooling system.

There is no point in going any further without bigger cookies being spent.

After those 7 steps, its time to plan fro more extensive head work and some more exotic bolt ons.

Hmm, lets see.

Carb and adaptor,
Duraspark 1
Tube headers
GT dual exhast
timing chain, degree wheel, gaskets, off set keyway, dyno tune
T5
Water pump

OUCH, thats about 1800 bucks, minimum if you did it all yourself. Hey, can we buy it on time like the Ricers do?

That's enough for a sub 17 second blast with about 115 hp on tap. When a Jap ECM module costs 750, and you don't even get a guarentee it'll help at all, then a 25%+, 2 seconds 1/4 boost looks like the best value around.

Howdy Jeb:

Welcone to the exciting world of Ford Sixes.

Xtaxi has hit on the big issues. I want to back track to free and easy performance improvements and ways around some of the limitations.

Stock, the initial timing setting for '66 200 with a C4 is 12 degrees BTDC. Try bumping it up to 15. Take a drive and listen for any knock. If you get a slight knock, try running a can of Gumot or Techron through the tank to clean up chamber deposits, a higher octane gas, or retarding the initial timing one degree at a time til it's gone. Sometimes a cooler thermostat and cooling system flush will allow a little more initial advance without knock too.

If you have a vacuum guage adjust the slow speed idle air screw for highest vacuum.

Make sure the throttle linkage is opening the carb butterfly all the way when the gas pedal is floored.

The C4 may be low on fluid. If it is check for leaks. If you don't find leaks it may be that the vacuum modulater on the trans is blown and sucking trans fluid into the carb. Yes, the C4 uses the same fluid as the C6. If the trans is in good shape you might try a quart of B&M Slick Shift at the next service.

The stock '66 Autolite 1100 one barrel carb is designed to work in conjunction with the Load-A-Matic distributor. Read Jack's sticky at the top of this forum for details. The carb is rated at 187 CFM and the distributor is a vacuum advance only mechanism. It has no mechanical/centrifugal advance built in. Make sure the vacuum cannister is function properly and the inside is clean and moving freely. This system can be upgraded with a Petronix 1, electronic ignition module, which replaces the points (about $50). That along with a Petronix Flame Thrower coil (about $30) makes for a nice, stock appearing upgrade. In any case, gap a new set of plugs at .040".

You can get an upgrade carb from Pony Carb, Inc. which will increase flow to 210 cfm. It is compatible with the Load-A-Matic distributor. It is a bit pricy. They have moved to Los Cruses, NM and I dont have a new #. Try <ponycarburetors.com>

Or you can move up to a '68 - '72 Point type distributor, which will have both vacuum and centrfugal advance. OR, if you are not interested in maintaining a stock appearance, you can move up to a '78 and later DuraSpark II electronic system. It will include the distributor, coil, module, wiring harness and spark plug wires.

If you choose this route you will have to use the '68 or '69 1100 carb, which will not have a Spark Control Valve. Distributor vacuum is to a ported source on the carb. If you can find an Autolite 1101 from a '69 250 engine, it will be a nice upgrade, rated at 210 cfm. It will have a wider bolt flange spacing, but the holes can be slotted to fit the narrower '66 bolts. The carb adapter plat will have to be tapered too to accomodate the larger diameter throttle bore and butterfly.

Early '60 to early '65 sixes had adjustible rocker arms. These are a direct bolt on the the '66 engine and have some advantage for getting the most out of a stock cam. Be sure to get the Push rods too. Stock, non-adjustible pushrods has a ball on both ends. The adjustible pushrods have a ball on one end and a cup on the other.

The stock, steep rear-end ratio will continue to be a limitation to acceleration, but make for some nice highway cruisin'.

Enjoy the journey.

Adios, David

or just put a big spoiler on the back and get some yellow stickers.... :D

seriously you guys. thanks for all that info, thats what i love about this site.

Back