Weber 38 DGES jetting

Linear Six

Can some tell me what their cam timing is set at and what jets they have on their 38 DGES.

This is what I have on my 67 200 and I think I may have a jetting problem or cam timing issue:
83 200 head ported polished, 10:1 CR valves are 1.75 int and 1.5 ex
Block hieght is .01 rotated assy balanced
flat top pistons at twenty thou over
Weber 38 DGES
Dual Exaust with clifford header
roller rockers 1.6
dual roller timing gears
172 clifford hyd cam
ARP hardware every where
connecting rods and all mains are shot peened
DSII electronic ignition

My cam is advance 6 degrees and center was 110 degrees
My main jets are 170 and my idle jets at 60. The car seems to run well and starts easily, But has very little power of the line. I cann't get the tires to break free off the line. I checked the plugs again to day and they look light brown to yellow, almost white. Does any one have a similar set up or any suggestion? HELP! :unsure:

That's a lot of cam (assuming you meant "272* Hyd. Clifford") for poor breathing head. It has a more peaky torque curve It's not ideal for "breaking tires loose" off the line, especially with an automatic tranny. That's not to say that it can't be done, but a 260 range cam may have been a better choice.

- What transmission and gears do you have?
- You didn't state if the Weber was on a 2-1bbl adapter or mounted directly to the intake. There's a lot of HP difference there.
- What size accelerator pump jet is in that Weber? Often, they are a little small for these engines (especially the 38/38 models). Idle and main jets won't affect off-the-line performance much if any.

Main jets are fine. In size and venturi, the 38/38 is very much like a 350 Holley. A set of 170 micron jets (425 cc/min) is like a set of Holley 70's (in a 350 without a power valve in a Holley)

jetsize.gif

There is plenty of jet there, enough for 145 hp or more.

The assesment of maximum power is total cc/min form both jets, divided by 6 for a good 200 I6. (If the car was port injected Cosworth DFX, you could get 1 hp per 3.2 cc/min, or 262 hp from two 170 jets).

Inliner is on to it. The key points are the idle and progression. Weber use a method of sizing accelrator pump stroke in cc's per 10 strokes. With DCOE's, its easy to change. Not sure with Weber 38's as I've not studies them.

A stock six with a stock cam needs lots of fuel due to the inefficent intake. With a cam, it needs even more. This is in keeping with with the a 350 or 500 Holley needing richer squiter jets when placed on a six in line.

Idle needs to be set-up as per Webers instructions. Most guys with 32/36's are running 65's for idle, so definately go up in size.

Do a search of all RougeS's posts. That will show you some links to Weber 32/36 carbs. They are not the same, but the idle circuit needs a similar size jet as they do. You'll find 60 is quite small.

Sorry, I ment to write 272 hyd. I have the stock 67' 3 speed with 3.53 in the rear. I havn't done anything to the drive train yet, it's still the original equipment.
As for the Weber it's mounted with cliffords 1.75" carb adapter. I have not looked at the accelerator pump jet. It's the original from Redline.I'm willing to try another size but what do you suggest?
The idle circuit is set up as per weber's instruction sheet and the mixture screw is at one and a quarter turns out. That is were the the car idled best. I tried a set of 70 in the idle circuit and the car idle best at 1 turn out. therefore I installed the 60 back. The carb came with 45's.

I agree with Inliner. The 272 power curve starts at 2200 rpm. Torque below 2200 will be modest. I have heard that the Rhodes lifters will help the low rpm torque curve. But I don't have any personal exprience. Your jetting looks good to me, althought a little high. I have a 32/36 running 150's with a stock cam and 1.6 lifters. The power band is very strong.

Steve

Thanks Steve,
I have already tried the Rhodes lifters and do not recommend them. They are extremely loud and do not perform well in our sixes. They cause the bottom end to feel weak until the lifter pumps up, it feels like a power band on a 2 stroke engine.
I have a spare 260 cam, never used I may try it this winter.
I have been told that the 272 is the perfect cam and also the opposite. Right now of the line the car feels similar to a bog or huge hesitation, I can't distinguish which of the two it is. But if I release the gas and reapply it quickly, I notice better performance. I noticed this behaviour ever since I installed the dual roller timing chain set. I may set the cam straight up.

Back