What mufflers

TNT

alright i'v rebuilt the 200 and am trying to figger out what kind of mufflers to buy i'm looking for that hot rod sound, that deep rumbel from 1-10 ,1 being little to no sound and 10 being glass packs i'm looking for a 7 or so can you guys give me some ideas what to look for

TNT, I called up magnaflow and told them the engine I was building up and they suggested to me their 4" round universals. Their tech told me they would be loud and aggresive. I haven't got that far in my resto yet but will be there soon. Oh and I would go with an inlet, outlet bigger than 2" if you go dual exhaust.

turbo muffles and dual exhast with the clifford 6-2. It has the right clearence for the starter and some simple modifications of the dual exhaust package from Summit. Summit sells a package for the v-8 1966 with turbo mufflers dirt cheap at around 150. clifford header is pricey at 399. Modifications at the muffler place 145. Sweetest sound at idle around a 3. put the throttle down and get that 7. Cruising I can barely here it until I accelerate and then the heads turn. I can't roll into aparking lot any more without people coming over to "see the 289", especially if I give it a little pedal before shutting it down. Also you don't want to be the one standing behind the car when I fire it up. If i goose it a little in our parking garage at work I can tickle the other cars alarms but it doesn't set them all the way off.

I am sold on my 50 series flowmasters, I absolutley love them. SO many people think Im BSing them when I say its a six. I will try to get a clip once I get he back from the shop again. There has yet to be a sound clip that is even CLOSE to how mine sounds, its wierd.
Matt

well matt convinced me to use the 50s so ill let you know tuesday or wednesday when i get the car back how it sounds. chandler

I cant wait to get a good sound clip in here, especially if its accurate to how it really sounds, I love it, and so does most everyone that hears it. No one believes its a little six makin all that racket either. Plus, if I ever get a headache (or one bad enough to make me roll my windows up) I can roll the windows up and you cant hear a thing. I dont like that tho, I like to hear the motor so my windows are always down 8)
Matt

I have a Z28 style setup. Using a Clifford 6-1 header going back to a Flowmaster 80 with one inlet and two out. It sounds fantastic. Even the fella at the exhaust shop was impressed with the sound. It's actually quite loud, around a 7 or 8 on your scale. I will try to post a picture of the setup soon.

......Alex

mcmillal":ords6yp4 said:
I have a Z28 style setup. Using a Clifford 6-1 header going back to a Flowmaster 80 with one inlet and two out. It sounds fantastic. Even the fella at the exhaust shop was impressed with the sound. It's actually quite loud, around a 7 or 8 on your scale. I will try to post a picture of the setup soon.

......Alex

great to hear. this is the set-up i've chosen to take but w/ a 50 series delta-flow. i'd really like to hear clips from the both of you!

well when i dropped it off the guy said he would use 40 series delta flow with my pacemaker headers so i was a little worried. but just picked up the 68 from the muffler shop and it sounds mean. exactly how i wanted it

that is the same setup that i have and i hate it. sounds great at idle and WOT but has a terrable resonance at cruise rpm. i am going to change it to a full dual out and different mufflers.

i will sell the flowmaster 40 series with delta flow for what ever and donate the money to FSP and snail mail the muffler (if you can call it that) to whoever

the bidding starts at $5

do i hear 10?

I switched to a 2" exhaust manifold and pipe. Used a Cherry Bomb glass pack and a simple downpipe before the axle.

Sounds like crap.

id tell anyone to use the pacemaker 6-2 true duals with 40 series if your lookin for a loud v8 sound. all the guys at work cant believe how well it sounds.

Flow masters kick as*. if you do your pipe size right and calculations a 40 series flowmaster will make you little six sound like a fully blown 302 or 351. My flows are loud nice deep rumble and have a nice after burner effect when i let off the gas on a rev. i used clifford dual out headers into a flowmaster Y collector pipe (FLO-Y214300A) into 3" piping then into a single in dual out (FLO-8430422) with 2, 2 1/4 inch pipes coming out the back one on each side of the fuel tank. It sounds bad as hel* when it was unning at hot august nights alot of V8 guys were very pissed but complemented me on the way it sounded. As soon as i get my ignition problem fixxed ill post some sound pics.

Wes

I'm running 2" pipes with the stock manifold and a dynomax super turbo muffler on a 200ci in my zephyr and the car has a nice idle but not much noise in the upper rpms. Actually quieter than what I was looking for, but thats better than being too loud. I can get a video clip if anyone is interested.

im running 2'' all the way back and i have an awesome idle and that unique flowmaster tone all the way up into high rpms, anyone is free to give me a call to hear it bc i have no sound clips sorry

Us guys with Falcons have a different problem, the bigest we can fit between the gas tank and the leaf spring is a 6" round muffler.
I'm going with a Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, either WLK-17741 $39.88 2 1/4 in. Inlet 2 1/4 in. Outlet, Case Length 14â€￾ overall length 19 ½â€￾ Outside Diameter 6â€￾ Aluminized Steel, or WLK-17230 $73.88 2 1/2 in. Inlet 2 1/2 in. Outlet, Case Length 16â€￾ overall length 21â€￾ Outside Diameter 6â€￾ Aluminized Steel.
A 2" exhaust pipe will be fine at engine speeds below 4,000 rpm. Above that backpressure will start to hurt performance, use 2 ¼â€￾ exhaust pipe to 150 bhp and 2 ½â€￾ exhaust pipe for engines producing 150 bhp and above.
Thats for a single outlet, if your running duals 2" is more than adequet.

DynMax makes a super turbo muffler with the inlet and outlet on the same side so it could be installed in the stock location. I am going to give this one a try next spring when I can afford a full system.

I have yet to do a rebuild and I have no headers...but I do want to setup the exhaust..since I need to replace the muffler. Is there anything for my setup while waiting to install headers later...and still get the sound??? :)

Back