New guy with a 6

A

Anonymous

Well let me start by saying hello. I own a 67 mustang with an 6. Everything in it is stock. I bought the car a few months ago and have managed to make it run smooth. I am planning on rebuilding the 6 and adding some goodies to it. My question to every one is where should I start. I want my car to get some good power with out swapping engines. I know the one barrel needs to go. I also would like to add headers. Where is a good place to purchase these items at a reasonable price? Also, any advice on what i should do will be helpful. Thanks alot ahead of time. :D

Welcome to the forum......You will be able to find out anything you could want to know about your motor here. Many of the guys are exploring importing heads from Australia because of the removable intake...Check out Mustangaroo's posting on the dyno results of his Oz head. If you want to keep the log head, you might consider looking for a newer model, 1977 to 1983 because they have larger valves and hardened seats. As for the rest of the motor, consider balancing the rotating assembly, adding a new cam, (comp cams 260 & 264 are popular choices) boring cylinders as needed, a 3 angle valve job, porting and polishing the head, and adding a 2 barrel carb, either by milling the intake or with an adapter. Headers can be bought from clifford, hooker, or Mike (Az Coupe) is importing sets from Oz at a very affordable price. Check out his post to find out when they might be available..... Most of all , don't be afraid to ask questions, these guys are super and will share all of their info, and just have fun making your car unique and not a cookie cutter V-8..

Good luck,

Bob

Howdy '67 ammo:

Where abouts in Idaho? I thought I was the only one on the forum from Idaho.

Best to set some goals for upgrading your Mustang before you start.

We could be more helpful if we know more about your car. Tranny type? Condition? Do you want bolt-on projects and upgrades or a major rebuild?

Enjoy the journey.

Adios, David

Im about 70 miles from you in mountain home. I have a 67 stang with a 3 speed tranny. The engine is in ok shape. Thats why I feel like I might need to rebuild it. I do want to do some bolt on improvements pretty soon. Any suggestions would be great. Hey i need to get that Falcon handbook too.

Word of caution, many forum members have given up on Clifford lately. since the original owner died, things have not gone well.

Since you're in cold country, you should start with an electronic ignition upgrade, to help start on those cold mornings.
The two most popular are the later model Ford distributor complete with box, etc (Duraspark), or the Pertronix Ignitor.
The pertronix kit is easily installed in place of the points, and works quite well. I liked the idea that, if it ever fails, I can just pop the points back in.
Get the Flamethrower Coil too. New platinum plugs and wires are also a good idea.

If you're not ready to replace the carb, do a rebuild. It's not that hard to do, if you can read an in struction sheet. Make sure you replace the plastic float with a brass float, as the plastic becomes porous over time. A K&N air filter won't hurt.

Before other chassis upgrades, get the front end stabilized by adding an export brace. This will keep you from chewing up front tires from shock tower flex. Next comes a 1" sway bar to keep you level.
Next, locate a donor car, such as a later model Torino or Granada, so you can swap in the 5 lug disc brakes and rear axle.
Once you can stop and handle, go get that OZ head, headers and a hot cam. ;)

well my question is what type of carb should i use? i still only have the one barrell.

8) most of the guys seem to like the weber or holley/weber carb, either with an adaptor or a modified carb pad for a direct bolt on. for my falcon i think i will go with the weber carb on a modified 250 head. for the ignition i have currently the allison/crane XR700 conversion. it works quite well. as big red stated the pertronix and the duraspark are also good choices. i did have addo send me a dist from aus that will fit the early block and give me the dual advance that the duraspark has, i hate the load-o-matic. as for the suspension, make sure it is in good condition before you modify it. no use putting on anti-roll bars and good springs if hte bushings are shot.

Upgrade the ignition first. So far, it has been the best modification that I have done.

As far as carbs...many go with either holley or weber.

As far as parts...lurk around here and ebay...and you'll find some pop up. Also check out vintage-mustang.com. They will occasionally be selling off 6 cylinder parts and there are always some 2V carbs for sell.

Slade

Howdy Again Ammo67:

I've sent you a PM on ordering info for the Falcon Performance Handbook.

Note that your '67 Autolite 1100 carb and Load-a-Matic distributor are designed to work together. If you change either you must compensate and modify to make things work well.

If you're looking for a bolt on upgrade, consider finding an Autolite 1101 one barrel from a '69 250 Mustang and a Dura-Spark II distributor system from a '77 or later FoMoCo with a six. The 1101 does not have the spark control valve like your '67, it has 215 cfm compared to 185 cfm on your stock 1100.
The DSII distributor is electronic for a stronger spark, wider plug gap, has centrifugal advance as well as vacuum. The distributor system is a direct bolt on, but be sure to get everything from the plug wires to the coil and module box on the inner fender. It's easiest to leave the harness between pieces in tact.

The carb will require minor modification to clear the larger butter fly valve, by tapering the carb adaptor. Stock linkage and air cleaner well fit.

If you haven't already tuned your initial advance for the elevation on the high Idaho Plain you can enjoy an immediate boost by bumping the setting to about 14 degrees BTC. That thin air is good for something.

Adios, David

ok, my carb isnt a Autolite 1100 - it is a 810. I noticed that after i bought it. Plus it has an electric choke and it dosent even work so I had to jimmy the choke for now. I really want to get a new carburetor. I think I am going to try out the Petronix ignitor. Hopefully that will work out.

The Pertronix is an excellent place to start! I did the same when I had my six.

The carb needs to go in favor of a 2 barrel! The good news is, if you can't afford an Aussie or Argie head just yet, the 2 barrel wll work on the turd intake (with an adapter) and then when you get the money for the 2v head, bam, bolt on!

See the post "2 to 1bbl adapter" in this forum. There is some very useful info posted there.

Howdy 66Ammo:

What's an "810" Carb? That's a new one one me.

The Petronix is sure enough easy to install, relatively inexpensive, maintains a stock appearance and gives you electronic ignition instead of points, but you're still stuck with a vacuum advance only distributor.

Adios, David

Back