NEED help WON't START

2Blew2B

Ok She died today. All was going well. Went to a few places then on the way back home. The idle began to run high. Then she started to sputter.
I have the duraspark II (79 Fairmont new distributor w/ stock module) I put a volt meter on the #1 spark plug wire and turned it over but did not get a reading. I put my timing light connection on it but got no strobe from it. Does anyone have any ideas??? Please I need help.

Well I check the spark with a screw and it is getting fire. When i pushed her back in the driveway I did get her to crank once. I was showing the guy next door about the vac line from the oil cap. I have the PVC on the back of the valve cover going to the holley 2bb carb. The oil cap niple i have going to the clifford adapter. When the car started I had the line out of the oil cap. Could this be a VAC problem?? Until this time it has started up every time.

Sounds like you do have a vacuum problem. The oil cap line should connect to the air cleaner, and the PCV line should connect to intake manifold or an adapter at the base of the carb. Any changes to the PCV line will affect your vacuum advance and mixture.

Then why was it running just fine prior. Also, this is not a stock setup. I have a holley 2300 2bb. Sitting ontop of a Clifford adapter. So the pvc goes to the Holley, and the oil cap line goes to the adapter.

I honestly don't know how you got it to run well at all with the oil cap breather line running straight to manifold vacuum through the adapter. Maybe it was plugged and then the plug came unplugged? Regardless you can't expect it to run smoothly with that big a vacuum leak. Why do you need that anyway when your PCV valve should be sucking all the oil vapors out of the crankcase (in a controlled manner that minimizes vacuum loss at low speeds)? I would plug the adapter and see if you can get it to run.

Take that oil cap line, get you a breather filter made for it and install it and let the pcv valve line run to the adapter nipple. The one from the oil cap should only have a filter on it. Thats where the air will pull through like a vent so you need to filter the air going in so you don't suck grit into the engine.

I talked to Holley today and they suggested as many of you did to remove the line coming off the oil cap. I got a breather type and ran my PVC line to the hole in the Clifford adapter. I also plug the power brake/PVC line with a rubber cap. I cranked it up and the idle went down to a 750-850. I plug the distrb line and checked the timing right a 10 degrees BTDC.

I also adjusted the mixer screws but I think I will take it to a shop and have they put it on a machine to double check it. Thank you for all the advice. It still does not like being started and cut off and being restarted though. But it is running a lot better.

You're on the right track now. :D You'll probably find that a little extra timing will improve things. ;) Best of luck. 8)

Back