How do I get more power to the rear

barishiman

Hey guys. I don't think I"m getting enough power to my rear wheels. With all the mods that I have done to my engine, it doesn't have that "kick" I'm looking for. The tranni has been rebuilt but the rear end is original. I assume the gears in the rear are worn down after 40 yrs and who knows about the fluid. Here's what I would like to do.

B&M Shift Improver kit &Trans pak
Royal Purple rearend fluid

I doubt they make better gears for a 7.25 rearend so what about the 8" off the V8s. And that changes everything - 5 lug wheels. I plan to redo the front suspension with Global West products and I assume I would need V8 spindles?

shift kit should help, and synth fluids can help (a little bit)
but the 8" with upgraded gears is prolly the best bet for that kick

If you can find a 1970-1972 Ford Maverick 4 lug 8" rearend like I have, you could save yourself all the expense of new brakes and wheels for now. That is unless you wanted to upgrade these weak, pathetic brakes anyway.

Andrew, I may sound like a broken record; but, what size are your tires? If you're running a larger diameter than a 185/75 or 195/70-14, you have essentially changed your overall gear ratio to a taller gear, say 2.60:1. :shock:
If that is the case, as with 205/70s, you will either have to go to a smaller diameter tire, or a lower gear. ;)

It's the highway gears that affect you - i have the same problem and am switching to an 8" rear with 320 - 350 gears in the springtime. although the car runs great from 30 to 90 MPH it's the 0 - 30 that sucks. I don't do much highway driving at all so it pains me when i drive the car. soon it will all change

good luck

John

Jezzz, I have 205/75 tires on the stock 14" rims. I plan to put 16s or 17s of the wheel below. If I go five lug, its easier for me to get the wheel but they do make the 4x4.5 pattern. We need a sticky on five lug conversion.

203.jpg

You could look for a 3.25 ratio without going to 8 inch. There are a fair amount around. I see one offered in the for sale section here from time to time. If you look around in salvage yards you may find one.

Nice wheels, but you'll feel like you're starting out in second gear. :shock:
It will have "long legs," provided you don't have to go up any hills. :oops:

I have 3.5 in the 8" rear end and a c4 tranny deffinitly not good for freeway use it turns 3600 at 80mph. Not good for the mpg, but in town it moves pretty good in fact I don't use first gear unless tempted by a V8 or rice rocket. I've found that acceleration is almost the same in second as first when floored. It won't peel out going straight but the motor is mostly stock, and I have found this to be good because I'm at least three feet ahead of the other guy/gal by the time they get traction. :LOL:

It's an 8", the car was a factory V8 so I pulled the motor and intalled a six. :D

Back