Adding to the Aluminum Excitement...

Ric - there isn't one specific grind that works "best". A lot determines the application - daily driver, hot street, competition, etc. Whether the head will be used on a 200 or a 250 will make a difference as well. We predict this head to be very versatile, and to work well with various cam profiles.

William - First, these aren't "on the market" yet, so it's hard to comment on the "wait time" for a head. There are still things to work out. We are still discussing production numbers with the makers. They have been selling these heads in Argentina for years... long before we came along. However, they are excited about the potential market for the product here. We need to get an idea from our potential buyers (those here on FSP) about what the demand looks like and how people feel about the price before we start ordering larger numbers of heads. It's safer for me to start small and move slow. In short, I'll be able to answer your question in more detail soon.

PLP-6400 - The head will be sold only with seats and guides installed. What valves, springs, and hardware you want to run will be up to you.

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

I think the design is beautiful, the price reasonable, but my question is: will a stock, american rocker shaft assy work on this head? How about headgasket? I know late model engines use a different style of headgasket to facilitate sealing with the differing expansion rates of iron & aluminum. I talking multi layer steel shim style headgaskets. Does this Argie company offer these, or something that will work? I'm uncomfortable with shelling out a pile o' cash & not being able to keep headgaskets on it.
Also, the headbolts should have washers placed under the bolt heads to keep from galling up the surface of the head around the bolt holes.
Darryl

Not to be rude, nor to put a damper on this party, but I'd put money down this head alone will not add an extra 100hp. If this is the case, backed by numbers, I'd be very impressed and say make them as fast as you can pour the 6061.

I agree but with right combination of after market performance parts as well who knows where the limits lie. Should have good economy as well with reasonable set up. But no I cant except 100 HP either "just" with head.

It's certainly generating some buz. The key however will be the numbers. When are they expected?

Mike

So if/when you start to carry these mike will you offer just the head/intake/exhaust? or could a fully assembled head be available with some nice valves and springs installed?

Just thinking how sexy looking a 200 with an custom efi setup on this head and a wicked turbo setup, cam, high lift rockers....

62fairlane170 If I read this right, this is a totally different head. This is from Argentina wherethey race 221s like we race V8s. Mike's head is under Design right now by a guy that has won the Engine Masters a couple of times.

i think ya'll are gettin confused.... i know i am tryin to figure out who ya'll are talkin about

John/Inliner is the one selling these Al Argie (allergy?) heads, not Mike

Mike/AzCoupe is the one who's developing an aluminum head with the help of the guy that won Engine Masters

turbocharged66stang - a turbo header may eventually be available. It's only a question of time.

'61 Draggin Wagon - Good questions. The head will accept the stock valvetrain items. These heads undergo a special heat treating process after casting to increase the integrity & stability of the metal while enhancing the heat transfer properties, of the head. The standard Fel Pro gasket is all that's recommended. About the hardware, we recommend studs only, but you could use bolt as long as you use a washer to protect the cylinder head.

62fairlane170 - It's easier to offer the heads bare simply because some may want to use higher $$$ valvetrain parts than others, and this gives more flexibility. I'd have no problem selling them fully dressed as an option however.

So far, the only update is that I've got my 200 engine back from the machine shop, and will begin assembling it this week. If all goes well, I hope to have a running alloy head motor by mid April. I'll need a few days of tuning, and then get it to the dyno.

Oh yeah. The intital startup, the dyno, and probably some burnouts (hehe) will be on video of course. Whatever happens, you guys will see it :D

:eek:

"Another new pair of underwear please! I think I just wet myelsf in excitment"

On a side note, how much to you think it would cost to ship one of the heads (bare) to New Zealand?

I'm excited about this new head. One question though, you mentioned an aluminum head in this forum. But your website mentions a cast iron head. Is the head going to be offered in both flavors? Will the cast iron be significantly cheaper? Thanks

Back