Parts off a 79 Zephyr

Titleist16

I am going to the junk yard tomorrow to pick up my 79 core engine out of a 79 zephyr to get rebuilt. While I am out there what other parts should I look for that would be worthwhile? Besides the zephyr I don't know what they have because I have never been there before but if you have any suggestions for parts from other cars please post them too. Thanks.

for a '62 Comet, correct?
you might find an 8" rear out there

don't forget to get the DSII module and harness from the engine bay, it's either on the firewall or on the inner fender

If the exhaust manifold is there would you consider pulling it for me? I am looking for a fox body one with out the integrated converter and a 78/79 car should have it.

Many "Z" cars had clutch-driven fans, a Mercury addition. This fan moves more air, plus it has less drag at higher RPM. Grab it, too, as it will pay off in better MPG and a cooler engine.

Look at the EGR pipes, too, if you have to run with these on the engine (due to local smog laws). The "Z" cars had longer pipes that wrapped in a full double circle to cool off the exhaust gases before dumping them in under the carb. This helps prevent underhood carb heating when you shut the engine off on a hot day, as it transfers less heat. This makes for less flooding and carb boilover when started hot, too. Two types exist, so check that the pipe ends match your manifold: some came from the middle of the exhaust manifold, right where the pipe goes to the catalytic: the other one has the fitting at the rear of the exhaust manifold, on top. The latter one makes starter removal difficult, so if you have the choice, get the one that exits in the middle.

If you have to meet the smog rules, look for the "passive" AIR (Air Injection Reactor) system. This does not use the HP-robbing pump. Instead, it connects from the air filter (driver side) thru a little muffler, across the block in front and then goes into the exhaust manifold. It lets fresh air into the exhaust manifold during the vacuum pulses that it has, so the catalytic has fresh air to work with: a pump does the same thing, but uses up HP in the process.

2 carbs exist: the Holley 1946 and the Carter. The Carter boils over less when hot. The Holley gives better MPG, but REQUIRES that EGR be used, or else it will run too rich. The Carter can be rejetted, if necessary, but the Holley cannot, because it is calibrated internally for the EGR effects. Both of them pass about the same amount of air. I like the Holley because it is a good cold-weather carb (in Colorado, that's important!).

Get the nice DuraSpark distributor: the spark curve is set up for good ranges - one for more MPG, the other for more HP.

Get the cold-air-induction tubing, too, if yours is missing. The "Z" cars had nicer ones than the Fairmonts.

That oughta be a wheelbarrow full of parts! ;)

Yeah Nitroracer, I'll see if it has the exhaust manifold on it for you. I don't need it since I am going to put headers on the rebuilt engine. I'll definitely look for the Duraspark ignition too. My car dosn't need to pass smog so I don't have to worry about that stuff. Thanks.

A wheelbarrow full of parts is a great thing :p ...even if ya DON'T NEED 'em 8) :mrgreen: :nod: :wrench: (y) OO6./The-X-Or-Six!

Back