cool gages

thinman56

anyone got any advice on gages? i want to add a fuel pressure and vacuum gage (for tuning) under the hood, and probably oil temp and pressure and vacuum in the interior. i see lots of stuff on the internet, but no clue about quality, etc. also need a tach, i guess steering column mounted. NPD sells the dash-pod, anyone try that? i know somebody's made mistakes in this area before and learned from 'em.....

I've always used Autometer gauges with no complaints. Traditional chrome series is what I always end up using for oil pressure, tempuratures, etc. and a performance series steering column tach is what is on the falcon now.
Rick(wrench)

Gauges? I can't stand gauges. Never had gauges in ANY car(aftermarket..)I owned,and if a car DID have 'em,I'd remove 'em. OO6./The-X-Or-Six!

How about some thing like this? I used Autometer Phontom gauges and installed them in a spare Dash panel I had laying around. Got the idea from this web site

http://www.geocities.com/kvinkler/gauges/page_01.htm

Dash1.JPG

someday I will learn how to make my pictures smaller..LOL
Bill

Yeah, me too. But, it's her car. Plus, I have bigger fish to fry right now with the engine/transmission replacement.

By the way, there is a matching glove box door to that instrument cluster.

Kris

I like old school stuff better cause it's not so danged expensive. Those fancy billet clusters are cool--JME or haneline or even the Dakota electric stuff, but your going to spend like 700 bones. I had the long style speedometer in my 64.5 mustang and got the 5 gauge style like the GT without the gauges 30 bucks an just about any restore catalog. I ended up using the moon eyes gauges--type in moon eyes on a search engine--and a cool mallory mini-tach that I strapped on to my steering column.
Ebay's got lots of gauges too. It was all about 200 bucks. I've got lots of other things I'd rather spend money on--like pizza parties with my kids. I just can't stand those crazy expensive gauge clusters. I wasn't even going to post a reply until I saw that. Argggh!

i saw the JME ones in mustang monthly.

I am in process of making my own white face gauges. I ordered a set online and didnt like the quality...it was kinda bit mapped. so I jumped on my computer and made my own. I waiting to get a new bezel and lenses to check it out

anyone see in the article that you can order different color covers for the lights...making your dash and color you want

I am thinking of making it glow yellow....like my car

chaz

I replaced a Haneline bezel with Auto Meter for JME (black) with Stewart Warner performance gauges. The SW gauges are back lit. Modern lighting with old style faces. If anyone is interested in the Haneline Bezel and AM gauges drop me a line.

Mike

thanks for all this, i love those phantom gages, but i also choked on the price of the dash insert alone. i got better things to do with $700. will probably go autogage for the interior, three gage cluster. got a lot of ash trees here in maine, was thinking of hand-hewing a console out of a hunk and forming in some gage cups (in my copious free time, right). bought two Dasco 1.5", liquid filled, stainless steel-case gages, 0-15 for fuel and 0-30" Hg for vacuum for the engine compartment for $18 each from my local pulp and paper vendor. any gage with liquid in it is good quality, i'll let you know what i think of these after i get 'em installed....

Back