1983 merc zephyr

Any engine needs some backpressure to run correctly. Too much pressure is a power loss, a restriction such as small pipe or too many cats/mufflers. Too little pressure disrupts the flow of the exhaust and can cause a power loss on the low end. I would keep the second cat.

Nitroracer":36whjm2i said:
Any engine needs some backpressure to run correctly.

You are 100% wrong. You are confusing pressure with velocity.
A loss of velocity (too large of exhaust pipe) will hurt power....

...But a plugged cat has to go, no matter what.

I wouldn't bother running one at all if you don't need to. Don't give me any backpressure crap, Ford 200's never even had cats for years until the 70's.

When you reduce back pressure via a bigger exhast, your carby falls out of calibration. Stock, factory backpressure is the environment it was tuned for, and reducing backpressure with no other mods on a non EFI engine will increase fuel consumption and create a lean period if nothing is done to retune things.

A stock, new cat will flow well over 400 cfm at 6 psi of backpressure. It only had to last 50 000 miles and pass the Federal sniffer test, so if its done any more than that, the catalyst will be erroded out, and the catayser will be restrictive as all get out.

Your doing the right thing. I'd always try and refit a new catalyst at some stage, even if the sniffer test is no longer mandated. A catalyst is never the flow restriction point unless you are boosting the power by 50 % or more.

Linc 200 is right, all backpressure is evil, but there are certain points in the rev range, with a stock carb, that a backpressure reduction will hurt the tune of the engine. If the converter is restrictive, it'll run better then it did if its removed.

xecute®™© he he":ykc4gm2j said:
A stock, new cat will flow well over 400 cfm at 6 psi of backpressure..

Where did you obtain that data?? I have never, ever seen 6 psi in any portion of the exhaust unless there was blockage (usuallly chunks of cat plugging the muffler), and even then......only at full throttle.

Linc's 200":22jz9ssc said:
xecute®™© he he":22jz9ssc said:
A stock, new cat will flow well over 400 cfm at 6 psi of backpressure..

Where did you obtain that data?? I have never, ever seen 6 psi in any portion of the exhaust unless there was blockage (usuallly chunks of cat plugging the muffler), and even then......only at full throttle.

Sources are from any Darcy-Weisbach formula in enginnering bookes, most heating engineering books, any university gradegas flow book like Sears and Zeminsky. My main bacground is materials testing things like emulsions and bitumen. I did my NZ Certificate in Engineering back in 1996, and found that most laboratory tests and engine books by air flow freaks like David Vizard were pretty easy to understand once I knew what the terms were.

Example, based on an excerpt from the Modifying Fords OHC 1.3/16/2.0 engines, released in 1988.

When a 1/8" brass union and a fuel pressure gage is hooked up, it is hard to get less than 4 psi backpressure at maximum power on any factory exhast.

When flow figures are given in cfm, they are done at a pressure drop of 10, 20, 25 or 28 " Hg. That is 5, 10, 12.2 and 13.8 psi respectively. We know most muffers flow from 120 to 400 cfm at 10 psi from flow figures given in Car Craft articles, trade literature and books like David Vizards.

For a standard 2 inch internal diameter pipe, that is

Flow is Q = v.a

A 10" head of mercury is a gauge pressure of 5 psi.

Given a 400 cfm flow at 10" Hg catalytic convertor, that is fed by a 351 truck engine at 5000 rpm, there is less than 430 cfm of air getting into the engine, and a similar amount goes out the pipe as your adding fuel to create a 75% heat loss via cooling system, block convection, transmission losses and then the exhast.

The up shot is that

Q= 430 cfm exhast flow through system.

v= 330 feet per second average air speed (tops).

a= is 0.0218 square feet with a 2" pipe.

Pressure is bascially heated air at 1350 degress f at the header, down to 200 degrees at the exhast exit, and the headloss is calculated by

hl = 0.002083 l (100 / c)1.85 (q)1.85/ (dh)4.8655
where

hl = head loss (ft)

l = pipe or tube length (ft)

c = design coefficient determined for the type of pipe or tube

q = flow rate (gal/min)

dh = hydraulic diameter (inch)

This works where the gas flow is has kinematic viscosity of approximately 1.1 cSt. 1 cSt (centiStokes) = 10-6 m2/s

There is information on how to calculate it, but even with those figures, the exhast pressure is still above 6 psi at 5000 rpm.

The power increase by backpressure reduction only occurs by proportion. At full revs, it is greatest. If you cut back pressure by half, like going from 6 psi to 3 psi, you would gain 17 hp at 5000 rpm at the power peak for an engine giving 200 hp. You'd then get 217 by backpressure reduction. It's hard to drop it that much, and still reduce noise, but it is possible. Mid range torque would drop if that backpressure was done by bringing the gas flow speed below 200 feet per second.

I got all of the nuts and bolts out of that piece of my exhaust only to find that the pre-cat was in great shape. None the less I am going to knock out the material for better flow and just leave the second cat on the car for passing emmissions. I ran into a slight problem though, the studs on the manifold are too long to allow the cat to slide out without lifting the engine so I may cut the studs down or break the cat while the pipe is in the car.

Leave it alone, it is huge and you won't see any power increases once it is out if it isn't plugged and melted.

Well I'd assume here that if my 82-83 was tottally melted most anything later would be as well. And WHOA what a diff. smoother excelaration above 50 mph.

Back