Important Basic Info On How To Keep Your Idle Low

G

The spring that pulls back the throttle body is a very important piece in keeping an idle at 800 or so rpm steady, without misfire, etc.

Today, I latched my stretched out, worn out spring (they really do stretch out of form) onto a front piece of the underhood, instead of the radiator, where the falcon (62) usually ties it onto. I got a full 6 inches more of spring tension, and no longer do I have to tap the gas pedal to get the idle down.

Then I set the idle on the idle air screw, very perticular in my adjustment, and made sure it still fired well after snapping the throttle body a few times. Anotherwards, checked to see if it recovered after throttle opening.

I did this all at the gas station earlier tonight in about 5 minutes.

Im telling you, this thing runs like a brand new Lexus. 800 rpm all the way, better pedal response, snappier due to the increased tension.

If I could buy a new spring, maybe Ill look on eBay for one for me. This makes a huge difference, though once you stretch the spring with it running, your idle will go crazy, so have your screwdriver handy and fine tune the idle before she drops off.

Make sure its latched very secure! If that spring pops off, or you lose it on the road, your idle will be at about 4500 rpm. You will have to get a tow home if you lose it, or possibly blow the motor, since nothings pulling back the throttle body in opposition to the pedal position. Anotherwards, lose that spring, and step on the gas, the throttle has no resistance to pull back, and you could even redline!

Saves on fuel too, since letting off of the throttle at most times brings it back down all the way, depending on where your transmission is shifted. Slightly lean condition, as well.

Im telling you, shes running like a Bentley. Things change sometimes, but I carry all my tools and a spare starter, generator, old plug wires (save them...you might need a spare...I put them all in the box from the new ones that I put on), points file and gapper, dist cap. I drive far on secluded roads to get my girlfriend home, so I get weary, which makes me prepared.

Just some notes on how to make a classic sunny day driver into a temporary daily driver, since my daily driver got stolen.

Joe

Back