The BIG oil filter

SixFoFalcon

Anyone else using the extended version of the FL1A filter? It's Motorcraft p/n FL299 and corresponds to the following:

AC - PF42
Carquest - 85773
Fram - PH977A (not that anyone would use a Fram! :roll: )
Napa - 1773
Purolator - L40017
Wix - 51773

It's nearly 2" longer than a normal FL1A so it gives us some additional oil capacity. It will also be less susceptible to clogging/decreased flow as the miles rack up. Given the dimensions of the inline six, 99% of us have PLENTY of room for this larger filter w/o any clearance issues.

I've used FL 299's for 5 years now...I bet you got that list of part numbers off my website! ;) :LOL: :LOL:

The other numbers are out of my Ford books. I beleive in using Motordraft filters so I've never tried any of the other part numbers in my ride.

Later,

Doug

Use it, the oil change will be a 5 QT. change instead of a 4.5 qt change.

Its worth the extra cost. William

Mustang_Geezer":1ecrw384 said:
I've used FL 299's for 5 years now...I bet you got that list of part numbers off my website! ;) :LOL: :LOL:

The other numbers are out of my Ford books. I beleive in using Motordraft filters so I've never tried any of the other part numbers in my ride.

Later,

Doug
You know, I read about it years ago, and it may very well have been on your website! I've been using "oversize" filters on my SHO since I got it and I figured the abysmally puny oil capacity of the fordsix would welcome a few extra ounces.

FWIW, I got that list of part numbers from the bottom of a Wix filter that I found at a swap meet. I thought, "Gee, that looks like a LONG FL1A filter" and I grabbed a nearby Fram PH8A (puke!) and verified the diameter, thread size, etc.

I too am a big fan of Motorcraft filters. For a <$10 filter, it's hard to do better. I use K&N and Mobil 1 filters for the SHO because it's quite sensitive to oil pressure drop. For all my other vehicles, Motorcraft is the preferred brand. 8)

I've been using the NAPA (1773) for a few years now, on my falcons & the truck. They work just fine on the 300 & on my wife's 4.0 V6 as well. Suppose it would work for other ford engines?
Edwin

well the motorcraft FL-1a is a puralator pureONE cartridge featuring 400 square inches of synthetic media BIGGEST area in a pur prem plus housing w/ neoprene seal/anti-drainback instead of the silacone in the pureONE

has anyone tore the FL299 apart? what kind of media area does it have? is it still the puralator cart?

actually number 2 filter is the mobil1 with 375~380 sq inches but reports of them blowing and the 10$ price tag??

I about had a heart-attack. I just got back from AutoZone, I needed to return an interior dye and asked about the fl-299...they don't carry it, but they do carry the stp counterpart. Does $87 seem right? :shock:

blueroo":3bib2iig said:
I about had a heart-attack. I just got back from AutoZone, I needed to return an interior dye and asked about the fl-299...they don't carry it, but they do carry the stp counterpart. Does $87 seem right? :shock:

Maybe for a case of them! :shock: :LOL: :LOL: Go to your local Ford dealership and pick one up....should cost ya around $10.00

Later,

Doug

wsa111":1xls2h4e said:

I don't agree at all.

In fact, a huge oil filter like that is a total waste of money. It is the same thing as using a huge cartridge air filter from a Caterpillar bulldozer on top of a motorcraft 1 bbl carb - it just isn't NEEDED and doesn't really help anything.

Even the shorty style oil filters flow more than enough oil flow and have enough filtering capacity for 5,000 miles of use, so unless you run Amsoil and change every 20,000 miles I don't see ANY use for that big filter.

A plain FL1-A for $2.99 is as good as anyone needs, even my friends running 8000 RPM big blocks don't use anything bigger and don't have any problems.

Linc's 200":251fp9qn said:
wsa111":251fp9qn said:

I don't agree at all.

In fact, a huge oil filter like that is a total waste of money.

Well thats YOUR opinion and if you dont like it dont use it! I happen to like the extra filtering capacity and the fact that you can use a full 5 qts of oil instead of 4.5 qts that the stock design demands, especially if your spinning the motor more than the 4500 rpm's that the Ford engineers designed it for!

Especially on an engine like mine thats running a 7 quart deep sump oil pan and a 6500 rpm shift point.

Later,

Doug

A while ago, I looked into these. They're not available locally, and I would have needed to get Az to post me a crate of 'em.

Option chosen in the end, was the ubiquitous twin remote filter setup sold by everyone. Cheap parts, cheaper filters, and the most appealing aspect was the potential of it cooling the oil slightly.

If someone is worried about oil loss, wouldn't an accumulator and pressure switch be the safest bet?

In terms of oil life - everybody's situation is going to be a little different. I understand that the oil companies specifically target some products at the DIY market, and it's quite possible that the durability is understated to sell more of the goods.

Isn't one appeal of the larger filter, also that you aren't left with some irritating small but not insignificant amount in the container when all's said and done?

Cheers, Adam.

Linc, get off your wallet.

The larger filter gives you a full 5 quarts when doing an oil change, the extra filter capacity can't hurt at all.

You can run what you want, but i agree with Doug the larger filter can't hurt at all. Oil runs cooler, has more crankcase capacity 5 Qts vs. 4.5 Qts.
& less chance for oil pressure drop. William

Mustang_Geezer":3ol05g4i said:
you can use a full 5 qts of oil instead of 4.5 qts that the stock design demands, especially if your spinning the motor ... a 6500 rpm shift point.

Well.......The only problem with that theory is that if you suck the pan dry and you cavitate the oil pump, you can have a 10 quart oil filter and it still won't do you any good if the pump loses suction (therefore pressure)

Adding oil filter capacity doesn't actually add engine capacity,
like a larger oil pan does.

You guys can run them if you want to,
I'm not going to say you shouldn't do whatever makes you happy.

But for all the newbies out there trying to learn, the larger filter really doesn't gain you anything at all, especially at the higher cost.

There isn't a one of you that needs to cool the oil lower than the temps it is already running at, anyways! (unless you are doing endurance racing)
According to an engineer friend of mine at Shell oil, you need to keep your oil right at 200* F for it to last its longest. Any cooler than that and you are shortening its life.

Howdy All:

Some observations-
*Engine oil has a specific optimum operating temperature. Any temp less then optimum the oil is less efficient. Any temp higher than optimum and the oil breaks down faster. Engine oil temp is determined by the engine and its use. More oil in a given engine will just take longer to get to it's operating temp. More oil will not change the engine characteristics or its use.
*More surface area of the larger oil cannister may cause some oil cooling through radiation, like a radiator.

I choose to use the larger type filters in the summer month here in the hot, high plains, and a regular filter in the cold, winter months.

That's my two cents, for what it's worth.

Adios, David

When it's hot, a little extra capacity can't hurt.

There are other legitimate reasons for having more oil capacity. My old XJ6 held 9.5 quarts, 10 with filter. My XK150 held 18 quarts, 19 counting filter. When you carry that much oil, the change interval is longer and in the XJ, you may only have to change the oil yearly, as odd as that sounds.

Jag's logic on the old XK was that more oil takes longer to overheat as well, so once up to temperature you could periodically flog the engine harder without reaching a critical temp. Not an issue in drag racing, but in road racing it can be a big factor. Dry sump systems often carry a lot more than that.

Linc has a point though. Most guys will never get to the point that 4.5 qts is not enough. Nor will they need the extra capacity. But if you really need that edge, why not? A no-mod required modification.

I checked at Keller Bros, the local Ford dealership. The guy hadn't even heard of the fl-299, but he found it when he looked it up. He said he could have it for me next day at a price of $18.

Here's what I don't understand though. I run the FL1-A with 5 quarts of oil at 42psi solid. Idle will go to about 22psi occassionally, depending on temp (engine and outside), with a high of 46psi.

I ran with an autozone replacement oil pan, full 5 qrts with the fl-1a, ran a consistant ~41 lbs, no heat problems.

This was an 80 block though, maybe the earlier pans had a smaller capacity?

Funky Cricket":11ut622i said:
I ran with an autozone replacement oil pan, full 5 qrts with the fl-1a, ran a consistant ~41 lbs, no heat problems.
Just curious if you took a reading after filling, where the dipstick would read?

Back