Newbie questions on Mike's SEMA Engine

benn3393

I'm just trying to understand the induction on Mike's SEMA Engine.
There are six air horns (how do these work? why no air filter?) Only three TBI's (throttle body injection, I'm assuming) so why six air horns? what's under each of them?

Port on port fuel injection has three throttle bodies, just like a Triple Weber

Aston Marin DB6 (Hard to see any Weber DB6 or DBS)

am001815.jpg

or Chrysler Charger E49

71rtchargerE38_5.jpg

or Maserati GT 3500

http://www.maseraticlub.co.uk/images2/motore-08a.jpg

or racing Austin Healy 3000. (Here is the intake for a tripple Weber carb set-up

http://www.tweakit.net/shop/images/red_ ... 2-3013.gif

The carbs hve dual air horns which are separate and are like throuser legs.

And why no air filter? Because it looks freakin cool. Most engines don't have throttle bodies for each cylinder. Although that would be even cooler than 3 throttle bodies.

Each of those TBs has two barrels. Individual runner induction also lets you run hotter cams without as much standoff or idle lope.
Rick(wrench)

I have a question about the air filters. Yes it looks cool, but there has to be a way for a filter in those air horns. I mean, the Hilborns had airfilters correct? I don't see how any induction setup could become popular without air filters due to the obvious damage from dirt getting sucked in.

I still love that setup though. I wouldn't mind 6 tiny little filters to put between the horns and the tb's...even though I'd probably have to replace them every week.

Kind of off subject here but does anybody daydream about lifting the hood on their car with that motor underneath at a car show, surrounded by v-8s...thinking about the neck-snapping double takes, head scratching due to intense confusion and probable speechlessness?

Filters when used properly have no loss in air flow over a bunch of exposed carb mouths.

If you look at any motorbike, they run very close plastic covers with a remote filter in many cases.

I'd love to do a clear polycarbonate cover and a remote K&N filter. Then you'd get to see the throttle bodies while still getting the best filtration.

xecute®™© he he":3kfmocgg said:
I'd love to do a clear polycarbonate cover and a remote K&N filter. Then you'd get to see the throttle bodies while still getting the best filtration.
get the angles just right and you could stare down into the cylinder before the valve closed
well, sorta

You can get filters for them. Mike presented it this way for the show. If you were to go with this set up you can get an airbox the the triple throttle bodies from TWM induction.

Mike

There are several options for air filters.

Air Socks - foam filters that slip over the horns.
red-sox-pr_sm.gif

Air Filters - any style that fits the Webber carbs, like K&Ns.
56-1710.jpg

Air Boxes - carbon fiber air boxes, or coming soon, an aluminum plenum for 6 cylinder.
carbon_plenum_6cyl_sm.gif

sr20_polished_plenum_3inch_inlet_blk.gif

Plus, there are several available from Roush Racing, as they use the TWM throttle boddies on several of their motors. We just saw them at the PRI show. They are a brand new product, so they don't list them on the website yet. Below is a pic of a roush engine with the TWM TBI's. In the second pic, you can see one of the filters available. They slip right over the air horns (similar to air socks). Eventually, my SEMA display motor will look similar to the Roush motor, with everything chromed or polished. 8)

402IR_stacked_400.jpg

402rppstore_01.jpg

Back