Here's why you should read and heed the oil passage sticky!!

A

Anonymous

Pulled my rocker arms to accomplish the oil passage cleaning according to the sticky. Here's what I found under the first arm :shock: :
132_3212.jpg.w300h225.jpg

and here's the inside of the rocker:
132_3210.jpg.w300h225.jpg

I rotated the other rockers by hand, and most of them feel pretty rough. The pedestals are frozen on to the shaft pretty good; I'll have to either bang on them or get a puller to get them off. Sooo...is it worth even going to the trouble of taking it all apart, or should I just toss everything and get a new rocker assembly? Had my eye on the FSPP roller tips anyway, but I was planning on doing it later after I'm done with everything else.

My favourite...!

Yup, of course it´s worth the disassembly. Just think of the springs, the spring clips and the rolled pins that can be saved.

rocker arms are made from forged iron castings and wear a lot slower than the hardened steel shaft. often, they can be reused after a little cleanup.

The shaft, though being surface-hardened, will wear quickly and has to be replaced. After plenty of owners and about no oil change since 1969, the shaft on my rocker arm assembly looked like this:

shaft.jpg

The rocker´s bore was worn a good amount as well, but not as severe.
I had to replace all of them anyway, mostly because I didn´t want to mix in fresh parts and used ones, which would have resulted in different clearances and possibly premature failure.

rocker.jpg

If you have access to a dial caliper, measure your old rocker arms.
After smoothing out the bore and removing the little bump on the lower half (caused by the sharp edges of the shaft oil hole), bore diameter should turn out no more than 0.785.
Anyhow, most of you shouldn´t have a problem in obtaining new rocker arms when living in the US. For me in Europe, these rocker arms are precious little gems now that most places cannot import ´em anymore since TRW has discontinued production.

It is good advice to deburr (better yet, taper and polish!) the oil holes on the new rocker arm shaft. Left untouched, the sharp edges will hurt the bore surface. Also, if you don´t mind the expense, having your parts nitrided will improve them further.

one possible way how to deal with stubborn pedestals:
when dowsing in diesel and penetrating oil and the propane torch won´t help, place a boxed-end wrench on the pedestal, over the shaft. Let a buddy hold the shaft upright while resting one end on the ground, then knock the wrench down with a rubber mallet - like this:

pedestal.jpg

Good idea with the wrench. I'll go ahead and disassemble, if for no other reason than to see the rest of the damage.

Like you, I don't really want to mix old rockers with a new shaft. I'll get a new adjustable assembly from FSPP for $95, and put in the undercut valves while I'm at it.

Wonder if the 1.6 adjustable assembly is worth the extra money if I'm going to put in the oversize valves anyway?

Seems familiar, the rockers dive into the shaft...I suppose the flat machining is there to show if the shaft was worn too much.

Here is a pic of one of my shafts. Somebody had a bad day at the drill:

rocker_shaft_miss.jpg

Whoops! :LOL:

I can see it now on Ebay:

SUPER RARE LIMITED EDITION FORD SHELBY MUSTANG ELEANOR GT HIPO SPRINT 64.5 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 ROCKER PARTS

Based purely on the idea of angle drilling being a hi-po factory option...

:roll:

oh boy that rocker shaft looks familiar! i can get a new shaft from Oriely's (sealed power) with end plugs but i cannot seem to find a "stock" rocker as one of mine is scored bad, any sources?(200ci)

sorry, noneayour pic came thru for me
Simon
and
65_six.

how did two '05 posts generate their own…OH, I get it now!
:oops:

"...in a long time."
Yeah, like 10 yrs, JackF.
but 65_six likes em!
:eek:

Hmmm looks like someone's done 'an torn a Hole in the damn Matrix...AGAIN(que the 'X-Files' Theme Music :idea: :shock: :eek: ) :nono: :LOL: ! ~OO6.

Happy New Year to ALL.
:beer:

"...I woke up BOTH Day's..."

I like yer attitude!
but where's the wrench icon
I usually C wid yer posts?

If you install a late model head & mill the surface over .060 you need to take a die grinder & enlarge the slot where the oil flows to the rocker arm shaft via the rear rocker shaft pedestal.
If you run the yella-terra rockers you need to install a plug in the oil passage in the left rear of the block to prevent oil leakage from the head gasket cause it can't withstand full line oil pressure.

was 65_six referring to a CI tech post or something here on our site in that decade ago initeating post above?

"...oil passage cleaning according to the sticky..."

I see it's catching more folks as we add to it -
:eek:

chad":19b0qgmw said:
"...I woke up BOTH Day's..."

I like yer attitude!
but where's the wrench icon
I usually C wid yer posts?
I dropped it down onto the Engine and I haven't seen it since :eek: :LOL: ! Actually,I have no idea :unsure:: :oops: OO6.

WoW, back on.
The system was off 1/2 day today.

"...where's the wrench icon…"
yeah, that icon & "Philly" is how I remember U.

It might have disappeared with the new admin staff.
Buncha guys saved our lill site & have kept FordSix
and all it's forums going!

I'd just like to keep the parts goin somehow too.

Yep. It's very lucky they were able to salvage the 'Site. Hopefully it'll be here for many more years to come 8) . Hope all is well with you & your Gang,Chad :) .

I usta live in Phoenixville & Marleton - both sides of the River.
Daughter born (@ Jefferson in Philly) there 19 yrs. ago this summer…

Many of these rigs (falcons, fairmonts, etc) seen around your neck of the woods?
Have they been "hotrod-ized" or more restomods or…?
I got the one in my sig. & is mostly restored/work vehicle-like.
For got what U got…
Besto' da New Yr.!

Back