2.3L HSC pistons

They fit on the stock 200 ci rod....no special machinihng required!

While youre at it, do upgrade to ARP rod bolts too :D :D :D

Later,

Doug

Rock on. 8)

Before I proceed with the 200/crossflow project, I have a D5 log head and valvetrain that I want to toss onto the C8 block to give me a little better breathing in the mean time. I'll throw in the 2.3L HSC pistons to bump the compression back up since the D5 head has the bigger combustion chambers. I'd hate to machine the block now, and then again down the road. My calculations are showing me that with the bigger chambers and the composite head gasket, I'll end up around 9.3-9.5:1 ratio, which I think will suit me fine for now.

Will using the 2.3 rods and postons increase compression dramatically?
I'm running an all original 1982 200 engine and am still researching rebuild info.

HSC are flat-top, and in 30 thou over size, they have a volume of about 30 thou lower than a stock 200 piston. I think it has a 1.500 verses 1.531" wrist pin to piston top register.

The stock 200 has a 6.5 cc dish on top when the psiton is 1.531" tall.

If you go to http://falconperformance.sundog.net/compcalculator.asp

the resultant compression ratio rise for having a shallower, 30 thou bigger, 30 thou lower, flat top piston is enough for 0.3:1 rise in compression.

Basically, its a safe bet.

If you deck the block 30 thou so there is a stock and safe 25 thou gap between the bottom of the head gasket and the piston, CR goes up to 10.1:1. Remember, there has to be a gap with the piston below the block, or there will be a collison between the piston and head at high revs.

(Only pistons and heads which are relieved to 'dovetail' together when the rods have streatched 25 thou can handle the modern postive deck found in alloy Chevy V8's. There is a real advantage in profiling pistons and chambers, but it is too much work on a cast alloy piston).

Back