Best exhaust manifold available new

A

Anonymous

I'm looking to buy either a new manifold. I can get C3 and the earlier flat gasket style and the D3. Is there much of a difference between them? Any good sources? I know thunderbird connection has the early styles and classic mustang restoration has all 3. $150 for the D3 seems a little steep.

I've got a few here but they all have problems. The best one still leaks a little around 3 or 4 ports and it has a crack at one of the bolt holes.

Howdy back;

The C3 has a 1.75" outlet and the flat gasket does not seal as well as the later style. The D3 will have a 2" outlet and additional gusseting and more material in weak areas. I'd go with the D3 casting.

I've gotten all of my exhaust manifolds from the recycle yard. I have them sandblasted, then I carefully inspect them for cracks. If they're ok I then have the mating face surfaced to guarentee it to be flat and true. At this point I have new head pipe studs installed. This whole process is much cheaper than the new prices I've seen.

Adios, David

I'll look for the D3 then. I pulled the only 3 pre cat manifolds in the entire yard and they were junk. I'll gladly pay the $150 to not have to pull who knows how many more, and then pay for it and potentially pay to have it surfaced, etc. Unfortunately there aren't very many turning up in the yards around here anymore.

Have you checked ebay? Maybe someone here has headers now and would part with a manifold?
Actually some guys on the V8-swap forums may have stuff like that too.
I wouldn't spend $150, that's for sure.

I have two manifolds from 65 mustangs sitting in my garage. PM or email me if you're interested. I'm in Santa Clarita.

Mike

I have a C3 in Torrance, sounds like Mike's are too, but you probably want a D3. I think I saw a few Mavericks at Ecology in Wilmington a couple of weeks ago FWIW.

Ragtopman":2axm3f5j said:
I have a C3 in Torrance, sounds like Mike's are too, but you probably want a D3. I think I saw a few Mavericks at Ecology in Wilmington a couple of weeks ago FWIW.

I think I'll check out a couple more yards first. There's 2 near me but lately they are full of 80's, and 90's junk. Heck, there were 5 cars I counted that were 2000 or newer. Wilmington isn't very far, I used to drive by when I worked at Toyota (you know where that is)

Thanks

Etcetera,
Yes, I know where Toyota is in Torrance (190th and Western) just a few miles from my house.
Try the Ecology yard in Santa Fe Springs at 13780 E. Imperial Hwy., Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670. 562/921-9974. It's just west of La Habra and has a larger inventory.

Howdy Back:

Any exhaust manifold from a C5 to a D3 casting ('65 to '73 model years) will meet your needs. Inspect to make sure it is intact and no visible cracks. Take a good light and a magnifying glass along to the yard to inspect before removal.

Don't overlook the offers from Mike and Ragtopman. If they're off and in good shape, you will have saved yourself a bunch of grief.

Adios, David

Back