D.U.I INSTALLED WITH DYNO RESULTS AND PICS

mraley

Well, I had the opportunity to test out the new D.U.I. Dizzy and let me say I am amazed at the change in performance.

First, It looks sharp. It will catch many an eye when you raise your hood. In my opinion This ranks as one of the best modifications I have done.

DSCF0031.jpg

DSCF0030.jpg

Installation was no problem. It is alot bigger as you can see from a stock dizzy, even bigger than the Duraspark II system that I was running.

For comparison, I ran two dyno's today. One before the install on the Duraspark II system, then later in the day with new D.U.I.

Before we go into the results, let me back track to last summer before I did the T-5 Swap. Below are the results from my last dyno that was done in July 2005. The temp. outside was in the 90's. My understanding is that dyno results will vary depending on humidity and temperature.

This is the 3rd run over a period of about a year. This run was made to see how many horses we gained at the rear wheels by adding an Aussie Head and a Holley 350. Previously we were running a 250 Head and a Holley-Weber Progressive 2 Barrel.

Before:
Max HorsePower 119.7 @ 5100

Max Torque 143.3 @ 3100

Top Speed 120 @ 5200 RPM

After

Max Horsepower 139.8 @ 5100
Max Torque 164.7 @ 3150

Didn't to top Speed this time....

Now....The following dyno is the before and after the install today. It was a much cooler day, about 75 and very low humidity.

Before..............

163.5 at 5100 RPM's at Rear Wheels
192.6 Max Torque at 3150

After

176.7 at 5170 RPM's at Rear Wheels
202.10 Max Torque at 3270

To sum it up...The new D.U.I. produced 13.20 more HP at the Rear Wheels and 9.50 more Torque.

If you break down the cost of the new dizzy per HP gain,you can't beat it. I spent a lot more in my head swap to gain 20 HP. This is one add that is absolutely worth the money.

In terms of "seat of the pants" feel, it seems alot smoother. I used to have a slight vibration around 2200-2500 RPMs. I has associated it with the T-5 Swap. With the new dizzy it went away. My lower end torque is noticeably improved, and once again you can't beat the look.

In case you can't tell, I'm impressed!!!!! Let me know your thoughts

Impressive figures. I do think it's better to look at today's metered HP gain as a % figure rather than a raw number.

13.2/163.5 = 8% HP gain, verified.

I suspect that figure would hold pretty true for other weather conditions, such as you experienced on the prior occasion.

A nice thing, all right.

Howdy Back:

Wow!!! What an objective post!!!! And what a difference a day makes in dyno numbers. The ambient temperature was obviously a factor in the 2nd to 3rd base line.

Thanks for the insight.

Adios, David

8) 8) 8) 8) It would be interesting to see what the numbers are during the middle of the summer.What were the numbers like at 2,000 rpm?

I didn't write down any other numbers. The place that I use always has printer issues. I think out of 5 dynos only once was their printer working.

The good side is that they are cheap, FREE!!! Every time I try to pay the guy he says "nah, I love Mustangs and yours is really neat" "I'll get you next time", which is fine by me. Most places charge about 79.00 around here.

mraley , great increase in power. When you did the previous test in july 2005 what transmission did you have?

If you had the C4 the increase in power using the T-5 is a wise move, the X factor is the previous test using the 5200 carb????

You definately need to upgrade to a 500 holley. With the mods you have the results would be very positive.

The 500 on my direct mounted carb on the log is much stronger than the 350 carb.

Use 68 main jet size with a 8.5 power valve & reduce the power valve restriction-
You need to put a holley 4412-500 carb on your setup, I noticed a very good increase in power just from my direct mount log head going from the 7448-350 to the 4412-500 carb.

With the 4412, go with a 68 main jet, a 8.5 power valve & change the power valve restriction PVRV under the power valve to .055 instead of the stock .0625 which is too rich with full throttle.

These tests were done using an innovate air fuel ratio tester.

This restrictor needs to be drilled & tapped to use a 6-32 screw in set screw drilled to .055.

This brass screw in orifice is available from mcmaster-carr #92991A142 404-346-7000, remember you have to drill the brass plug for your desired demension.

Again great post. William

p

WSA111.....

The test in July 05 was with the C-4. There is about a 17% difference between the two dynos. I assume part of it is due to the T-5 tranferring more power to the rear wheels vs. going thru a torque convertor.

I had the Holley 350 last summer also.

The X factor was definitly due to the power transfer of the T-5 Vs. C-4

How much difference would the 500 CFM make in your opinion?

mraley, I would bet a 10-15 HP increase. William

Really? That would be worth it, especially compared to other mods I've done. The cost per HP would be alot less....Hmmm, gotta think now!

Could you measure from the edge of the valve cover to the outside edge of the cap? I'm kind of interested in putting one of these in my Econoline, but it doesn't look like it will fit. I think the stock dist. only has a couple inches clearance.

The valve cover looks nice on the motor, are they shipping yet?

I don't think everyone is interpreting this quite right, so I'll re-phrase it.

Dyno last summer with 250 log head and Webber 2V
Max HorsePower 119.7 @ 5100

Same day, after swapping to the OZ head with a Holley 350
Max Horsepower 139.8 @ 5100

Today after swapping from the C4 to the T5 (since the last dyno), with cooler temp.
Max HorsePower 163.5 @ 5100

Today after swapping from the DSII to the DUI dizzy
Max HorsePower 176.7 @ 5170

Summary (at the rear wheels)
Log to OZ: 20HP gain
C4 to T5: 24HP gain
DSII to DUI: 13HP gain

Also note that the DSII/MSD was custom curved to his specific setup.

Thanks Mraley for being the guinea pig, and for doing the before and after dyno pulls. It's nice to see some real numbers, rather than mere speculation.

etcetera,

The machine shop finally got the covers done and I'll be picking them up over the weekend. I still need to have them powder coated and polished, but that should only take a week or so (shipping no later than 4-1).

Thanks for the recap Mike, So let me be the straight man. An MSD6A ignition module (MSD-6200) at about $150 (or Crane HI-6 ignition module 6000-6440 at about $285) plus a Flamethrower coil at about $30 from Summit or PAW plus a DSII distributor from NAPA at about $50 (about $110 for a re-curved one) adds up to roughly $230 (up to $425 for a Crain module and re-curved DSII). Versus $365 for the DUI Performance Distributor for an 8% HP gain.

So for about an additional $135 bucks (or I could actually save money) I get 8% more horse power. On the plus side ease of installation and of course coolness factor. I’m a skeptic, but I’m just about convinced. It would be nice to see what different set ups would yield, but I assume results should be similar, all things being equal.

Mike,

Those are some really awesome numbers. You are making as much horsepower as I did with you old 250 head and an Eaton supercharger and more torque down low.

That is inspiring. Maybe I don't need this 351W after all.

I'll trade you LOL.

Bob

This is all very exciting. I'm more surprised at what the T5 did as opposed to the C4. What a huge difference. In contrast, I'm surprised the Aussie made such a small change.

Howdy Back:

Mraley- one last question. Was the H/W mounted with an adapter or direct to a modified log?

I'm guessing the difference in ambient temperature on different test days added to the dramatic difference in rear wheel HP from the C4 to the T5. No doubt the C4 accounts for some parasitic loss, but not this much.

Thanks again for sharing.

Adios, David

I was also disappointed with the small gains from the OZ swap. The next step, will be another dyno day, with the new aluminum head and 4V. ;)

Back