Carb help..

1963Comet

I am in the process of finally getting my car ready to start after installing a new 200CI. Anyway I thought I would just order a Ramanufactured carb for it from the auto parts store. The problem that I am having is each carb that I purchased has been too narrow in the bolt spacing. The last one I ordered from Auto Zone was for a 68 Comet with a 200CI engine. It did not fit. I have a 63 Comet, but I do not know what year the engine is. What have some of you all used? I notice that the carbs vary a bunch by years, but I figured that most of that was due to emissions. I did not think that the bore would be diffrent from various years of a 200 engine.

What is the casting code on your head? If you know what year you have you know what carb you need ;)

Ok, now that was ovious :oops: but thanks for the help. My casting numbers state that the head could either be from a 81-83 200CI, or 75-80 250CI. From the reading that I have done, both the heads on a 200/250 are the same after 1977. So I guess that ordering a carb for either one would be fine. Personally I want the early model that I can get.

Howdy Larry:

What is the casting # on the head? From '77 to the end of production, sometime in 1984, two different carbs were used on the 200 engines and several variations of each.

These years used a very different carb from your '63 Comet. You will need the correct adapter, or the spacer, that fits between the carb and the log manifold. You will also need to match carb linkage, and your ignition system to the carb. What distributor will you be using? Depending on the actual head you have, you may be able to blend parts to get it running.

Sorry to be the bearer of more confusion.

Adios, David

My casting numbers are the following: EOBE-6090-BB. I recentally found my handbook and I guess that means the head is 80-82 for both the 200 and a 250. The book states that this is not a desirable head, but I am not building for performance at this time. Throttle linkages should not be a problem, I am planning on installing a cable. I also have installed a DuraSpark II dizzy so the ignition should be up to par.

The carb that was originally on that head would probably have been either the Holley 1946 or the carter YF(i think), both of which were designed to run with pollution controls.
It's certainly possible to run without egr and cap off the ports not being used, but apparently fuel mileage and performance suffer.
You could run it like mine, I have the '46 and only the egr hooked up, and with the egr spacer it orients the carb with the cable throttle across the valve cover nicely. Of course that also requires the correct exhaust manifold.
Some here say the Carter is better, I wouldn't know. Another option is the Carter RBS, if I recall correctly. I think it is the largest one bbl carb that is a direct mount.

Howdy back Larry and All:

I dno't know what we said that leads you to believe, "The book states that this is not a desirable head" I am thinking that it may be the most desireable of the OEM log head castings.

An EO casting was likely mated to a Holley #1946 for that year. JackFish is right is having to crutch the emmissions hook ups ot sensors and switches. a Carter RBS from a '69 Mustang 250 may be the best choice for you. It will be compatible with the DS II. YOu may need to modify the spacer/adapter to allow for the larger throttle bore, and slot the carb mounting holes for bolt spacing.

Please point out to me the part where you feel the Falcon Performance Handbook says the EO is an undesireable head. I will need to edit it.

Adios, David

My Apoligy CZ :oops: I was reading Page 52, under the 250 engine. I was looking at the casting code for EOBE, but I guess I was reading the Notes for D8BE :oops:

Back