carb limits

AJ1Overdrive

Running a 200 with a stock carb. Engine is rebuilt and camed up, and I am wondering about carb limits. I have the stock intake and manifold and want to increase my carb size? What are my limits? Problems, or concerns?

Howdy OD:

Option #1- If you prefer to stay with a bolt-on upgrade with a minimum of fuss and adapting, consider an Autolite 1101 from a '63 to '66 full size Ford car with a 240 engine. This carb will have a SCV for use with your stock Load-a-Matic distributor, the linkage and fuel lines are very similiar to your stock stuff, and the stock air cleaner will work.

The only adapting required is to flare, or taper out the top of the carb spacer/adaptor to clear the larger butterfly of the 1101. Your stock 1100 will have a throttle bore of 1 7/16". The 1101 will have a TB of 1 11/16".

The difference is your stock 1100 is rated at 185 cfm while the 1101 is rated at 215 cfm. This is enough to notice.

If you have an Auto trans in your '65 your stock 1100 will have an anti-stall dashpot on the engine side of the float bowl. Finding an 1101 for an auto trans may be challenging as most full size cars with a 240 came with a 3 speed standard trans. You didn't say what trans you have.

There are many other good options, but all are more involved and require either adaptors, modifications or both. It is important to consider coordinating the carbs vacuum functions with the distributors type of advance systems.

Adios, David

Originally had a 3 speed, but currently running a c-4 with overdrive out of an 83 cougar. I don't believe my current carb has any anti-stall? (I really don't know what that is.)

Back