Valve Ticking?

Titleist16

Today I was working on an exhaust leak and then changed my oil. After I changed the oil I started my car up and I heard a ticking. I took the breather off and looked inside the valve cover and I didn't see any oil flow or movement. Should you see oil moving in there? What could this ticking be? I switched from Mobil 10w-30 synthetic back to Castrol 10w-30 regular oil and used a K&N filter. My pressure gauge is showing 40psi.

Every once in a while I'll have a lifter that sticks. It always works itself out. I wouldn't worry too much right now.

Michael

Howdy Titleist:

I don't know haow much you can see looking through the breather, and if the clicking is intermittant it may not be a bid problem, BUT (doncha hate those big buts!)- if the noise is chronic it may wise for you to remove the valve cover and watch the upper valve train oil itself. YOu should see oil oozeing our of each rocker arm on start up, beginning at the back and getting to the front most rocker within a minute of startup. If you are not getting oil oozing from each rocker, something is plugged. Without oil, friction will eat the pushrod ball or the rocker cup. I think there is a stickie on this topic. If not do a search on rockers arms or rocker shaft oiling and cleaning.

This is a not uncommon problem if your rocker assembly is original and has not been disassembled and cleaned along the way.

To be safe, I'd check it out, IIWIYS.

Adios, David

watch out thought...oil will go everywhere if you run without a valve cover

I took the valve cover off and ran the car. It took a little while on the initial start up for the oil to start flowing on the rockers, so now I know it's atleast getting oil but it is still ticking. I have non-adjustable rockers so I can't set valve lash. What could this ticking be? What can I check and what can I do to get rid of this ticking?

Back