Is 4.5 quarts too much oil?

LaGrasta

2K+
VIP
I'm using the standard sized oil filter and I was at the lower level zone of the dip stick with 4 quarts so I added another half. Now it's just OVER the high level zone. Should I worry?
I supposed I could unscrew the filer and dump some.

I wouldn't worry about it. 4.5 is normal for a change with filter.
I just had mine done at a shop and they dumped 5.5l of oil in it. :x
Blew the excess out the back of the valve cover, and so far, I don't think the engine is any worse for it, seems to be running OK, but I'm keeping a vigilant eye and ear on it.
Woops, I just realized you said quarts. I'm not sure, how much is that in liters?

I'm running around 5 with the FL-1A. Still haven't figured out how to measure 4.5 out. And I still haven't been able to find the FL-299 for less than $18.

Just pour half the bottle? You can generally hold them up to the light and see the level of oil left in them, or they have a clear strip molded in the bottle.

Unless you're going old school and have cans of oil.

You know, for 40+ years Dad and I put in 5 quarts with each oil/filter change (using the "standard" PH-8A filter), and the dipstick always showed full, not over.

I don't know why 5 quarts, except that's what Dad always did. I recently looked in the owner's manual, and it says 4.5 quarts big as life. Things that make me go "hmmmm..."

Well, I guess I haven't anything to worry about. It sounds like 4.5 was exactly what it calls for. And 5 won't hurt from what it sounds like.

always always 5qu and never had a problem. 1/4 in the filter the rest into the engine. always read perfect on the dipstick and never had an issue.

Well, check your dipstick "stop". On at least two of the engines I've worked on, the stop could slip past the two stamped ears that are supposed to hold it in place on the actual dipstick. If I forgot about it, I would check the oil and think, "damn... I'm overfilled for some reason" and then I'd see that the stop had worked it's way up, allowing the dipstick to go too deep into the crankcase. :oops: I used a carefully positioned pop rivet to fix one of them.

I usually used the FL1A filter, dumped 4.5 quarts in the engine (sometimes a little more), and added the remaining pint later on, as needed, until the next oil change. Now I'm using the FL299 and just dumping in 5 qts at each oil change.

RockAuto.com sells the FL299 for $11.xx each.

Back