Engine go Boom

A

Anonymous

So I have a 66 Mustang Fastback with the 200 in it. I was cruising along at a steady 50-55ish mph easter night and all the sudden boom. Engine shuts down, lots of bad noises, so I immediatly turn power off to the engine and put it in neutral to coast to the side of the road. I pop the hood and see no indication anything is wrong...which is the worst thing I could have hoped for. I start looking around at the tranny and anything else that I hoped it was instead of the engine. After looking in the plug holes the next day after having it towed I see piston 3 is as far up in the cylinder as possible and 4 is halfway down. I also can hear a significant ammount of metal in my oil pan if I hit it.
My real question what could have caused this. It wasn't detonating and I was just cruising at a constant speed. The engine isn't modified I was restoring it to original condition. Was it something I did or just bad luck and something went wrong that I couldn't have prevented? Thanks

i would recomend u drain the oil pan and drop it and see if u can find the problem and be sure to take pictures cause som of us like t o see carnage even if it one of our beloved 6's

Last week after installing new trans in my 1960 falcon I started car and the 1966 200 engine sounded like it was going to fly apart.Was pumping a tremendous amount of smoke out of breather hole in valve cover.I took it out and I am going to replace it with 1966 170.Is it common for these engines to blow for no good reason?I am new to fords(ex chevy guy) so I don`t know about them.thanks

Highly uncommon. As Mr G says, usually rod bolt issues on the rare occasions they do.

SLracer":z7bo2xhx said:
After looking in the plug holes the next day after having it towed I see piston 3 is as far up in the cylinder as possible and 4 is halfway down. I also can hear a significant ammount of metal in my oil pan if I hit it.

As far as the posistion of 3 and 4 it depends on where in the rotaion did the motor stop.. (the pistons do go up and down)
sounds bad with the metal in the pan .. your going to need to pull the pan to see whats up... I can't imangen it being good.
As far as what caused it most likely old age, and the old lady most likely didn't get past 35MPH.. did it get very good Perventive matinance.. like regualr oil changes and such.. most likely it didn't...
Just may .o2
Tim

the old lady most likely didn't get past 35MPH.. did it get very good Perventive matinance.. like regualr oil changes and such.. most likely it didn't...

nope i bet she didnt do oil changes it only had 22k on it 7 years ago

it had wax in it from never heatingup

only went 3 to 4 miles at a time

if anything I would say it is because the engine was that UNused.. stuff can get brittle and wonky if not used like it is meant to be used.

the only way I blew my engine (well my mother borrowed it at the time) was a rock went through the oil pan and she drove it 60 miles with no oil (just got it back together too, man was I pissed). new pan and oil and it went 300 miles before I decided that rod knock was annoying and rebuilt it again, had no signs of quitting anytime soon.

Rings can go bad causing oil blow through, and head gaskets age over time, that can cause smoke, but rarely and normally not without aid (see link's post :eek: ) do they grenade like that.

I will definitly have pictures taken, I have the oil pan unbolted but I have to move at least the cross member to get it out of there, maybe even the front sway bar. Anyone know if I have to undo both of these? Those crossmember bolts are a bitch I have one halfway out but I had to get to class (college student). Ill keep you updated.

Also as far as the pistons in the correct position, if number 3 is at TDC that would mean 4 would have to be all the way up as well. Piston 3 is literally touching the head, as high in the cylinder as it can possibly go.

So I didn't check this and just went on removing the crossmember and when the bolt was about midway out sheared. So that kinda sucks, I plan to pull the engine now the question is when I will have the time to do so. Should be a pretty easy pull once disonnected from the tranny right?

yes i pulled the motor out of my 66 with no problem but i had already removed the head and oil pan and all i did to remove the oil pan was onbolt the sway bar and move it out of the way and all i had to do was work it around the cross member which wasnt that hard

Back