Hooker's for 250?

powerband

2K+
VIP
Can Hooker SuperComp 6601's fit the 250 engine?. The Head is the same as the 200 but the 250 has the low mount starter. The 250 uses SBF 289/302 type 157 tooth flywheel, bell and starter.

Thanks
Powerband 8)

I probably shouldn't comment about how good a deal hookers for 250 is. You have to like a company that calls itself hooker!

i was like "there is a joke here but should I make it"...?

250 is too much for Hooker's

I emailed their tech dept about these wondering the same thing and they told me that they don't fit the 250. What's irritating is back in the 70's I had a hooker header that fit my 250 Maverick, so I know they used to make one. Of course it is long gone now. I'm waiting to see what Mike at FSSP will be coming up with for the low mount 250's.

'Was just in the garage bolting up a set of Hooker's on the Performance 250. The Headers actually do fit the engine , I put the starter on the block because I thought that's where they would interfere. It's very close but the tubes wrap around the low-mount starter. I realize now that these Hooker's are slightly differently bent than the ones in the '61 Comet on the 170. I bought those on E-Buy so don't know orig. application. The 250 headers were supposed to go into a Maverick and I thought they were the same. The real question is will they fit into the Comet, the current set on the 170 hit the inner shock tower and tie rod:
th_HEADERCU1_WEB.jpg

HEADERCTRLINK1WEB.jpg

I was also working on solving the motor mount problem due to the 250's wider block.

Powerband

Hey powerband, so what you are saying is that the Hooker 6601's fits the 250 engine with the low mount starter? That is interesting since the tech guy I emailed said they wouldn't fit?? Kind of makes you wonder if these so called tech guys know what's going on. Did you bolt these up to the engine while it was out of the car? I'm assuming the engine is for the '61 Comet you mention. I have been looking for a long tube header setup for my 250 Maverick and I'm now wondering if these might fit afterall.

Gene Fiore":11ralra9 said:
Hey powerband, so what you are saying is that the Hooker 6601's fits the 250 engine with the low mount starter? That is interesting since the tech guy I emailed said they wouldn't fit?? Kind of makes you wonder if these so called tech guys know what's going on. Did you bolt these up to the engine while it was out of the car? I'm assuming the engine is for the '61 Comet you mention. I have been looking for a long tube header setup for my 250 Maverick and I'm now wondering if these might fit afterall.

'Bolted the headers on with the starter bolted to the block plate on the engine stand. The Hooker's cleared the NAPA "cheap" starter . The headers were from a guy putting them in a Maverick but I don't think they were actually installed. I still don't know if they will fit in the '61 with the 250 as the block is taller so the head is @ 1-1/2" higher and they may not hang low enough. (Now there's an invitation for a snide remark :roll: )

If it means anything they seem to be bent a little different than the set on the 170. The set on the 170 has a larger "HOOKER" emblem tacked on the #2 tube and the "new" set has a smaller emblem tacked on the # 1 tube. Also the headers cleared the starter but wrapped close enough for me to wonder if the'll cook it!.

Powerband 8)

HOOKER follow-up - (Yow - could I get arrested for that?)

I have the headers (and 170) out of the Comet now and compared the two sets. The different "bends" are pronounced and on the 250 set, #2&3 tubes extend much further down towards the rear to wrap around the low mount starter. The set that was on the 170 have the #2&3 tubes basically directly running into the low mount starter area. I am still unsure the 250 headers will go into the '61 Comet. The 170 headers in the Comet, rubbed the shock tower perpendicular to the #2/3 flange with the tubes sticking about 8" out . The 250 set are @ 9" out from the 2/3 flange but since the block is @ 1-1/2" taller , until I get the engine in and try them I can't be certain.

> I don't know what the Hooker number or application is for since they came with the engine I bought.

Hookersstarterfs.jpg

Hookersstarter4ms.jpg

Hookersstarter.jpg

Hookersstarter3.jpg

Powerband 8)

Looks like a gear reduction starter with heat shield would be a smart move. That (present) closeness of fit is asking for grief.

Update on the Hookers for a 250 thread:

I got back the set that fit the 250 from the sandblaster and it has a stamping between #1 & #2 ports that reads:

MEXICO 6602

I never heard of the 6602's but I believe they are a Maverick application. Anyone know if they are listed in the Holley/Hooker catalogs?

Powerband 8)

Powerband,
I couldn't find anthing with the hooker 6602 number.
According to SummitRacing the 6601 are supposed to fit the 70 to 72 maverick and comet.

I'll try googling hooker 6602 but I'm afraid what the results will be. :oops:

Nathan

I looked at my 1997 Hooker Headers Catalog and the 6602 is listed for 1970-1973 Maverick/Comet w 250. Notes say it is compatible with power steering, A/C, column or floor shifted manual or automatic trans, and have 38" long primaries 1.5" in diameter with a 2.5" diameter 8" long collector. Glad I kept a few old catalogs.

Darrell

The 6601 is listed for 1970-1972 Maverick/Comet with 170/200, is compatible with power steering, column or floor shifted manual or automatic transmission. Primary tubes are 38" long and 1.5" diameter with a 2.5" diameter collector 8" long.

The 6601 is also listed for 1965-1970 Mustang Cougar with 170/200, is compatible with power steering and power brakes, floor shifted manual or automatic transmission. Tubes are the same as above.

I just noticed the 6602 is also listed for 1969-1971 Mustang/Cougar with 250, is compatible with power steering, floor shifted manual or automatic transmission. Tubes are the same as previous post.

Darrell

Thanks Superford :LOL:

So the 6602'a are the listed aPP' for the 250. I could see they were different than the set I had for the 170/200 but until the sandblaster revealed the stamping I didn't know there were two numbers.
TWOHOOKERS2_WEB.jpg

It's great to have resourceful contacts - ;)

Powerband.

Related thread on the other forum:
http://tffn.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9836

Gene Fiore":gf7litkk said:
Hey powerband, are the headers in your pics that are super close to the starter the 6602's?

Yes, Those are the 6602's on the 250. The 6601's I had on a 170 won't come close to fitting the 250 as the tubes run right into the low mount starter.

The pood news is I got them in the '61 Comet today and they "kinda" fit. There is no major interference with the frame or shock towers but the steering idler arm bracket interferes with one tube and the idler arm interferes when it moves left for a right turn of the wheel. Time for the BFH
"forming" tool.

I have plenty of pics in the camera and I will post soon when I get some time not under the car.

Powerband

Back