Well that sucks..PLEASE HELP

A

Anonymous

I have been having problems with the t-5 I installed vibrating horribly , and I mean horribly, when starting in first right after I start the car, not sure what the problem is but it seems to go away after a while with a good clutch/gas application combination. BUT the shaking has caused the driver's motor mount to fail and crack through the center. I think there is a chance that oil might be somehow leaking onto the clutch....but have yet to pull the tranny to see what is going on...Thats gonna occur tomorrow.

-- Any ideas on the cause of the problem? I know it is hard without more info.

-- Recommendations on where to get good oil pan and rear engine gasket/seals?

-- Any poly__ engine mounts available for the 200 c.i. six?

Thanks for your time and help :)

Matt

ps. Car details: '65 mustang coupe w/ stock 200 c.i. running generic holley carb, pertronix coil and ignition, t-5 tranny with original bellhousing
and aftermarket short throw shifter

I'm having the same problem. I won't be able to tear into mine for a couple weeks but I've got to fix this. Terrible vibration/shaking in 1st. Starting out in 2nd is ok as is reverse.

Please post your findings.

I have seen this before and it has almost always been reman parts.
If you used reman clutch or pressure plate I would suggest changing for a quality set that is new. I have seen other causes but this is the most common.

Other possibilities:

1. clutch friction surface is bad/oily/poor material
2. Bad input shaft bearing
3. Bad pilot bearing
4. Wrong pilot bearing
5. bad or broken transmission mount
6. bad or worn clutch linkage
7. poorly surfaced flywheel and/or pressure plate
8. flywheel with excessive runout (not flat)

Thanks for the information and suggestions. Hopefully after my wedding on July 8th I can buckle down and get this problem solved. Until then I am gonna keep on researching possibilities / solutions from the past on the forum. Again thanks for the info and keep it coming. I will post some results as soon as I can.

Thanks,

Matt

My father had a 1984 F150 with 300 6cyl and 4 speed overdrive.It shook when you let out on clutch from the day he got it until it was wrecked.We tried replacing everything we could think of and nothing helped.That was back in 1989-93 so truck wasn`t that old.Good luck.

Also possible is bad transmission/adapter/bellhousing/engine block alignment, which can cause or make worse some of the issues MustangSix lists. I have seen the bad alignment problem on a couple of cars that chattered right from the factory. I am always suspect of it on T5 conversions where an adapter typically comes into play, these adapters are pretty sloppy as far as alignment tolerances go.

I had this when I first put in my T5....then I oil soaked the clutch when I forgot to put sealer on the crank bolts...go to change clutch (it picked up a worsening vibration) and found that the countersunk bolts on the adaptor had started to back out on me and that the trans was no longer inline but "sagging" tightened up bolts and put some better lockign compound on them and then used a punch to stake them in place and no problems now.

For my T-5 conversion the problem got worse and worse so I resurfaced the flywheel, again. Problem got better then worsened again. When I rebuilt the engine I replaced the flywheel. Smooth as silk since. My old flywheel had been machined so many times it was simply too thin and warped easily. 7000 miles on the new one and still smooth.
-Joey

I had a bad vibration that resonated in the whole car when I installed my T-5. Most noticed at idle.

Turned out the the aftermarket crossmember was hitting the metal part of the transmission mount. I had to clearance part of it with a cutting wheel and grinder.
Doug

Back