Should I "RAM AIR" it?

250mav

I just got my new hood on my maverick. Totaly rust free with a cool fiberglass scoop in it. there is a big 13" circle cut out under it for an open V8 air cleaner to sit in. So iam thinking a functional ram air system would be pretty cool. If any of you guys have any suggestions or pics that be great
hoodscoop.jpg

8)

Are you kidding?

YES!!!

Also you will need to get dual out exhaust so it looks like you have dual exhaust to further the V8 look.

It really messes with their heads when they think you have a V8 and they see a I6 under the hood.

I love the blank look of confusion and befuddlement that lasts for severa seconds.

the sad thing is that most people dont expect to see anything other than an I6 under the hood of a maverick :( . i'll be getting a set of headers around the end of the month and hopefully a 2bbl carb soon after so I think the whole system will go together really well. on the mav there is a rectangular black plastic "mouth" to the air intake duct work between the radiator and the battery, i was thinking of just mounting that under the scoop and running a tube from that to the air cleaner.

250Mav,

I'll put it this way. I installed a homemade ram air setup at the track for fun, and my 1/4 mile time dropped 1/4 of a second and I gained 3 mph.

Definitely go with a ram air setup.

.............Cheers, Alex

I did a homemade ram air to from the radiator wall to the horn of the stock air cleaner. It definitely makes a difference at speed, like 35-40 mph. You can feel it dig in, which was not the case before.
I used a galvanized roof flashing for a 3" pipe and ran speed shop air duct back to the horn. It's like a funnel to the hose. Check out David's setup in the Ford Six Performance handbook. He runs two ducts from the cowel. You could probably do something with a metal shield and the hood scoop to a top inlet air cleaner.

Simon drew up the plans for a really cool ram air setup that utilized a flat panel air filter like a F.I. 300 uses.

Gonna use his plan on mine someday!

Later,

Doug

Mustang_Geezer":2juctzsk said:
Simon drew up the plans for a really cool ram air setup that utilized a flat panel air filter like a F.I. 300 uses.

Gonna use his plan on mine someday!

Later,

Doug

Do you have a copy of those plans?

me and my friend went down in his basement where he had some old metal central air/ washer and dryer vents and ducts and we fabed up a little scoop to sit on the carb and match up with the inside of the hood scoop. looks 1/2 azzed but Iam still pretty shocked at just how noticable the diffrence. The car is quicker "off the line" and accelerates faster when it shifts into 2nd. Iam still thinking about how my final air cleaner will be put together, I just got a little impatient to see what kind of power gains to expect. When its light out tomorrow I'll snap a pic to put up.

8)

Just my .02c...

Take your scoop idea one step further.

Fashion a plate that will enclose the hood scoop and have just the carb inlet. That way you will only be letting in cool air from the intake and be blocking off warm air from engine compartment from getitng in the carb.

But add water drain holes, dont want to add too much water injection if it rains hard.

Back