Starting Problem

Mike

Here's the deal, the first time we try to start the car on any given day it will not fire. Wait anywhere from 15 - 30 minutes and it fires. It will continue to fire until the next morning when we try it again. Everything from the ignition switch to solenoid has been replaced except the pick-up in the DII. Any suggestions out there. By wht way the carb and choke are fine.

Mike

Mike":h7heb79b said:
Everything from the ignition switch to solenoid has been replaced except the pick-up in the DII. Any suggestions out there. By wht way the carb and choke are fine.

Mike

So the only thing between the ignition switch and the solenoid is the wire???
It takes 3 things to make it run Air, Fuel and fire. YOu know its got air so , I would start by making sure you got fire to the plugs. put a timming light on it and have someone crank it over and see if the light flashes.. if you got spark then the next thing is gas.. ...................................

............. By wht way the carb and choke are fine.......................
Don't know how many times I've heard that and it was still the prob...

pull the air filter and look down the carb move the linkage and see if it squarts gas down it.. No squart not getting gas ... It needs a squart of gas to get it started, not enough pull to get enough gas with out it squarting some in at first start... is the choke closing all the way at first?
tim

Remember the car will fires up about an hour later. When it does the chokes functions properly. The carb has been set up by a dyno shop, again once it fires it runs great. As a mater of fact when is does fire, you're barely turning the key. What are the symptoms of a bad distributor pick-up?

Mike

Make sure you have a 12V source to your ignition system during cranking. The way I did mine the first time I only had power in the run position. When I did the initial setup I was using a remote switch and had the key to run so it was fine. After that it would start ok the rest of the day. The next day it was very hard to start but it finally did. Mine was just the way I wired it but I could imagine that it would be possible to have a bad ignition switch causing the same problem. I would not have thought it would start at all the way I had it but a warm engine must have enough spin left in it when I released the key that it would fire. I imagine its all in the timing that you let go of the key.

May not be your problem but its easy to check and eliminate as a possible cause.

Most of the time a bad pickup will show with an ohm meter and more often than not its the wires that are bad. Make sure while you are testing you flex the wires and operate the vac advance to make sure there is not a break there. Also make sure you have the polarity correct on the pickup to module wires, you would be amazed how well it runs out of phase untill you get it in phase and see the differnce. If you are using a ford module its just purple-purple and orange-orange. The ford modules also have a start and run mode, seems like I read somewhere that they are differnt transistors so it is possible to have one mode fail and the other one still work. I think I read that that is the white wire going to the module but Im not sure. I am told that most of the time it works without the start mode hooked up because all that does is a 10 retard for easier starts.

What year are we talking about? Is there a Thermal Vac Switch on the advance line to the dizzy? That could explain a differnce betoween hot and cold starts if the pickup coil wires are bad. Modules are known to be sensitive to temp and voltage, can you see any pattern to temp or voltage when this happens?

Good Luck!

Our 12v source is off the ignition switch before the resistor wire. Per all of the various Duraspark conversion sites. You situation sounds identical to mine. Any thoughts about an alternative 12v source?

Mike

If you went right to the switch or at least the wire from the switch you should be ok as long as the switch is good. I had a problem because I used a relay off the voltage regulator instead of messing under the dash. Im not sure how often these switches fail but I would think after 40+ years anything is possible. For a test just put a voltmeter on your ignition coil + terminal and the other lead to good ground and see what happens to the voltage as you turn the key to 'run' and 'start'. You can pull the small wire off the solonoid (should be the one closest to the battery side) so you are not distracted by the engine cranking and or starting. If you have a constant 12 volts as you move and or jiggle the key then you have one more thing that is not the problem.

One more place to look at connections is the terminal on the solonoid from the battery. The smaller wires there go to the fuse block, key, and the alternator. On mine they were not looking so good from the main connection being loose at some point in its life. New solonoid, +cable from the batt and a new lug crimped on the small wires and things started working. This would make some sense because it would heat up during longer cranking but may be fine when it starts right away and doesnt have time to heat up.

The igition switch is new. We'll just continue to check all wires. Thansks for the help.

Mike

Back