Advice on Carb adapters

A

Anonymous

Gentleman,

I FINALLY was the high bidder today on Ebay for a rebuilt Holley 5200 carb for my 65 Mustang Coupe, which I hope to get back on the road this summer after 25+ years sitting. :D I am now trying to figure out which of the carb adapters I should buy for it, the Clifford or Stovebolt.

I'm trying to absorb all I can from the excellent Falcon Performance Handbook, which I like to refer to as the "Gospel of Schjeldahl". I have also reviewed this excellent article comparing each at this link with the pros and cons:
http://home.centurytel.net/fordfan/Falc ... ion02.html

I know the stovebolt adapter better orients the carb, but is taller than the Clifford. I also know that the Clifford doesn't use the carb heater, but may suffer from some fuel starvation due to orientation of the bowl. The height would not be a problem as I plan to use a 67 GT500 fiberglass hood with scoop. I also have a 1980 head on my 200 ci engine, so it has the wider log for using an adapter.

What I would like to hear are opinions from those of you who have used one or both of these adapters. What problems did you run into? Which do you prefer or recommend? Anything to watch out for? Are there other manufacturers you would recommend?

My intentions are primarily a little more hopped up than stock, although I would love to give the local autocross a try occasionally on a Saturday afternoon.

Many thanks!
Steve

I've used the Stovebolt adaptor with the H/W 5200 . Adaptor fits great and the "modified" Maverick YF air cleaner on the 5200 fit under the hood of the '61. Can be a little tricky getting adaptor attached to the intake flange because the studs are a little too long for the adaptor clearance. I just added a few homemade cork gaskets for @ 3/16" and it fit fine. :

Someone in other thread simply made a notch in adaptor and eliminated heat flange.

FULLCARBADAPTOR.jpg

FUELGUAGEINHAND.jpg

100_2132.jpg

Here's a close up with linkage from a Maverick
LINKAGE1.jpg

Very interested to hear how you make out with yours. Lots of discussion if you do a search.

Powerband 8)

when I had a 5200 it was a cake install.

I had the early pull style linkage on my car. swapped a different stud on the 5200 and off I went. pulled it off a pinto motor that had been sitting forever. no rebuild just a external spray down with carb cleaner and I was off to making 25mpg I also used an aircleaner off a pinto/mustang 2

FWIW, I gave up on the HW5200 and went back to a 1barrel Carter RBS. I had the Clifford adapter and fabbed up the linkage, but could not fix the "bog" or "left hand stall" on either carb. If you have enough clearance I'd make sure the throttle plates and float bowl are oriented properly. Some folks have had no probs at all but others have had some challenges... Good luck!

Personally, I'd try the Stovebolt adapter mounted on the stock carb spacer (for proper carb alignment) and see if it fits under the hood. If it's too tall, I'd pull the head, tap it for studs that are oriented along the axis of the log, and then use the Stovebolt adapter w/o the stock carb spacer. This will allow you to orient the carb with the bowl facing the radiator, but without the extra 1/2" or 3/4" of height from the spacer. You'd have to tap the adapter for a hose barb for the PCV.

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I sort of leaned toward the stovebolt because of the cheaper cost, but will definitely give it a try now. I will keep you all posted on how things turn out.
Steve

Back