Mike's SU setup

Rocky62falcon

Is there any documentaion on Mike's 2 su carb setup? Linkage , manifold, etc. Can this only be run on the aussie head or can it be run on a regular 200 head? Thing look sick!

Rocky62falcon":31ak684z said:
are the aussie heads very different than the american 200 head. I am assuming they are. Different manifold and such?

The USA head/intake manifold is not removable, it's cast as one piece.

There is in fact quite a bit of difference in the aussie head. The aussie heads flow a whole lot better. But as to what is pertinent to your question. The American head has the intake manifold cast in to the head where the aussie head has a seperate intake which bolts to the head. I'm not sure how they compare dimensionally such as carb openings and exaust locations and that sort of thing. I hope this helps.

We made plenty of log heads here.

There are two kits for the SU carbs. One used a delogged head, the other attached right onto a 2V head.

First style was made for HS-4 carbs and had 1½" bores at the carb flange. The second type had (IIRC) 1¾" bores at the carb flange.

SU carbs with detached fuel bowl are better (as in, avoid the HIF series and CD Strombergs). Heat shielding is advisable.

An old time mod was brazing two flanges onto the log head and direct mounting a pair of HS-4s or HS-6s. Only slightly more difficult than an Offy triple setup, but less popular these days!

Regards, Adam.

addo":1nwr3spy said:

I guess you learn something new everyday. I don't hear people talk about the aussie log heads too much. I guess if there was a common alternative in the US we probably wouldn't here either.

Have a good one.

- Grant

GrantD":2cc2ampj said:
addo":2cc2ampj said:

I guess you learn something new everyday. I don't hear people talk about the aussie log heads too much. I guess if there was a common alternative in the US we probably wouldn't here either.

Have a good one.

- Grant

Did the Aussie's ever use the log head? If so, what years and was it the same as the USA log head?

The log head 6 was introduced with the first Falcons in 1960. They were also fitted to Cortina's and F100's in the early 70's. The "Aussie Head" as you refer to it or 2V as it's known here was an optional upgrade available on the XY and XA Falcons (1971-73). Most 6's (even XY's and XA's) were log heads that underwent similar development to those in the US.

The 2V was dropped for the XB Falcon. The Crossflow 6 was introduced late in the XB range I think (around 75, might be 76), and replaced the old log head 6's for ever. All Australian 6's from then on have the Crossflow head or later variants. The early crossflow heads can be mated to US blocks with some modifications. The current 6's are OHC and not compatable.

Rocky - no decent photos at present. I have a bunch of carbs and the early conversion style manifold, but no head to mock it up against.

Also have a magazine advert for a competing SU conversion by Bob Blattman in Sydney; he fabricated his manifolds and sold the heads on an exchange basis around '65-'66.

Here are a few pics.
f4c01le4.jpg

fd321xf3.jpg

f8b51uj6.jpg

Sorry about the delay, Rocky.

Wallaka has posted pictures of the Lynx setup which allows triple Weber DCOE style carbs on a Ford-made 2V head. If you can imagine the Weber flanges being replaced with three SU flanges, that's what it (Mike's manifold) looks like.

Here is the Blattman conversion:

Note the offset carb bowls to clear the shock tower. I think they're HS-4 carbs. You can clearly see the manifold is fabricated, not cast. Picture was first located by Xcstasy.

Here's a Lynx manifold that was installed in similar style:

Again, offset fuel bowls - also note the vacuum balancing grooves between ports and the chunky cast alloy manufacture.

Hope this is of some use in edifying!

the log head in aus never really recived much attion here in aus.
earlyer on it was mainly holden six or ford v8.
then the 2v come out and we just concentrated on them till the xflow.
but ford six power never really took off out here like the holden six did.
the holden six very simerlar to the 200 is now pushing 350hp n/a.
the log did recieve attion in the speedway circles where it was very common for the log to be machined off ported out papper thin same to the intake chambers then rewelded on.
anther option that i have seen done was the log machined off and a custom intake made to bolt up to the head.
but most was whiping a dead horse as the crossflow could be made to make more power cheaper but where allways let down by the intake manifolds.

rare speed part i think you can get the long manifold still but no linkages anymore the small tight fitting one for early falcons is swap meet special.

Lynx did a closeout just under two years back. Now you're limited to what turns up on Ebay or classifieds. Rare would be a little presumptiou$, uncommon is a nicer word.

You could ask Ramflo USA if they have any stock - but don't fancy your odds.

Mine cost $175 (about $125 of yours) including glassbeading - I reckon that's about what they're worth - max - taking into account the ongoing costs to install.

I am definitely running this setup in my falcon. Either the Webber or the SU setup will do. If anyone comes across one I would be happy to take it off your hands. IN the mean time I will see what I can find. Thanks for all the info guys

Back