Yet Another Stumbling block...is this bad?

CobraSix

2K+
VIP
Well...I had an exhaust leak which I fixed and found another problem the exhaust leak was covering up:

#6 piston is hitting the pan.

Obviously this is less then diserable, but will it do serious damage to the car if I leave it that way and tune it up while I wait for a new oil pan. I really don't want to drop the oil pan until I move to my new house and can get teh car up on cement instead of the grass.

Will I do any permanent damage?

Slade

I wasn't sure if I understood what you meant by the piston hitting the pan until I read your "It's Alive" post. Actually, you probably have a crank counterweight hitting the pan. It won't do any significant damage unless it's hitting it real hard. However, what it will do is send metal particles throughout your engine and that's definitely not good.

I'd suspect the oil pan tagged the core support when you dropped the engine in. If you look, you'll see where it hit. Cheap fix is to pull the pan and carefully knock it back out. Had this very thing happen to me many years ago on a '67 'stang.

After you repair or replace the pan, I'd strongly recommend an oil and filter change.

Dropping the oil pan does not look to be any fun at all...It will be easier if it is at least drivable for about 10 miles so I can get it to a hobby shop that has a lift.

It looks like I have to remove the crossmember to get the pan out, is that right?

I might have this thing runnign again.

Slade

Don't know about the crossmember, haven't been under an I6 'stang since the 70s and I simply don't remember. Personally, I wouldn't drive it the 10 miles, but that's me.

That's affirmative on removing the crossmember, and it's a bear if it hasn't been off in some time. You'll need an impact wrench or a big breaker bar to loosen the two bolts. :shock:

I guess I'll start spraying it down with PB Blaster now and start working it lose. I guess I can drive it up on the ramps I have and that will give me enough room to work.

Slade

hey

its a gamble whether it will hurt the motor or not, to me i would think that it would hurt the main bearings or the piston cap depenting on how far it hits it could even destroy the crank. it could last for another 10 years or give out tommerow its a gamble i would probly get the car to your new house or shop and do a rebuild.

adam

yeah, i just removed my oil pan and I had to go to Sears and buy an impact gun and socket just to get the bloody crossmember off. Now I can't find gaskets for my oil pump. Oh well, thats why there's gasket paper. Its always something with my car.

depending on the year of the inline six matters on main bearings and crossmembers. In 1964 when for decided to develope the mustang out of the falcon's chassi and drivetrain they motor would not perfforme well because of the amount of strain on the C4 cruis o matic tranny and the 200 -250 motors so they blue printed it have 7 main bearings and a crossground crank for bottom end support. Having this 7 main bearing design allows for more stroke and bore of the piston, higher compression, higher revs, and more ability to take stress. in simple terms the blocks made before april 18 1964 have 5 main bearings and blocks made after april 18 1964 have 7 main bearings. obviously the 5 main bearings desing is a not so good setup as very little bottom end support is their, and the crank offten broke in to.

Slade, Hi, Alex here.....here's how I see this. Take some time off from the car. Go out, have some fun with the buds, girlfriend, etc. Forget about the car for a few days. Come back rested, relaxed, clean headed. And maybe things will look different.I went through LOTS of S**T with my car in the beginning. It's no fun. Just my 2 cents

Later,

Alex

I'm going to try using one of those "Pop a Dent" body sheet metal repair kits. I may be able to pop the pan back into shape. if not, i'm going to get a nice new oil pan from AZ.

Slade

The last 2 times I put the motor back in the car, I managed to bump the oil pan in that exact location (either on a radiator support or other means). I know the sound you are referring to and you should take care of it immediately. For me, all I did was to unbolt the sway bar where it mounts to the frame and pull it down, then I was able to slide the oil pan out from underneath, beat the dent out of the pan, then install a new gasket, slide the pan back in and bolt it up.

This job seems to always go hand-in-hand with the dizzy never liking to go in properly, but always falls in 180 off.

Al

I was going to suggest one of those suction cup dent pullers as a first try. It might work and save you pulling the oil pan.
As others have said you have to pull the cross member to remove the oil pan. I also had to remove part of the steering (not sure what it's called) linkage.

Be careful with a replacement pan if you have the JP roller timing chain. I had the chain hitting the pan at the front just below the sealing lip.
Try the dent puller deal, otherwise when you drop the pan you will see where the crankshaft counterweight hit it.
Use a body hammer & correct the interference point.

wsa111":1pq742um said:
Be careful with a replacement pan if you have the JP roller timing chain. I had the chain hitting the pan at the front just below the sealing lip.
Try the dent puller deal, otherwise when you drop the pan you will see where the crankshaft counterweight hit it.
Use a body hammer & correct the interference point.
this is a 13 year old thread, resurrected by a hacker... No point in responding...

I think Perry may B doing some updating…he mantioned something in one of the threads in the forum…
Check the Index - lotta old posts (one entry ones) from /03 posted as 2016…
I think he's bringin on the test site!

X2 :shock: this topic and most of the posts are over 13 years old and I am sure the OP is likely long gone onto some other project by now! Over the weekend our site was Hacked on July 9th 2016 :arg: :banghead: by "a Guest" probally someone of ill repute, so i can't really see any point in responding to any of his or her numerous hacked into older posts on many of the forums. :thumbdown: ! :eek:opsie: my mistake the site wasn't Hacked please disregard my rant!

"…site wasn't Hacked …"
I only been here 7 yrs. I understand it wuz struck in the times B4 that - sometimes to major effect.
Is that true?

Been to the "test site"?
Wanna see a 'vendor's forum'?

Back