What is a safe RPM range for...

HighVolkage

'78 200 block, lightweight alum pistons, refurb stock rods, stock crank, adj rocker setup from CI, and chrome moly pushrods? getting enough fuel to spin it up is not an issue

just wondering because I just got a tach installed and i'm breaking in a dist gear right now but soon i wanna take it to the drag strip and see what it'll do but i need to know safe/optimal shift point because i'm scared to experiment :oops:

you might be able to get more RPMs out of the 3x1 setup but i dont think you will be able to even reach any dangerous limits

ok good. i'm not worried about the bottom end at all i just dont want to blow a pushrod out and put a hole through something

8)

Typically all things being equal you dont want to run cast pistons too much past 5500-6000rpm.

If you intend to have a 6000rpm revving engine you would be better off investing in forged pistons.

Some of the guys on here say they routinely rev their engines as high as 6200rpms and I have reved that high or higher with a 2.3L OHC motor with cast pistons but its still a risk doing so.

Even Hypereutectic pistons would be a little stronger. Not as good as forged but better than cast.

Also if your going over 5000rpm you need to start planning on investing in better valve springs, keepers, and retainers. Anti-pupmp up hydraulic lifters would not be a bad idea either.

Anlushac11":3rs5k9np said:
Also if your going over 5000rpm you need to start planning on investing in better valve springs, keepers, and retainers. Anti-pupmp up hydraulic lifters would not be a bad idea either.

All done except for the anti pump lifters (I think)

Back