ever have one of those days??

A

Anonymous

Ok so today has sucked!! :cry: I got called into work for an emergency so i race into work pushing my lil 200 a bit too hard held 5k for about 13 miles on the highway :eek: that was all fun till i got to the gate on base and my temp went from 170 to 230+ :cry: so i go to work get er done ordered a head gasket picked it up limped it home pulled the head off everything is tits?? hell the motor even has flattops in it head looked milled and smoothed out looked great the head gasket looked new with no spots to leak from got to looking at the head realy good and i found it a freeze plug under the log has a pinhole right in the center of the lil bastard. i have never seen anything like that i've seen them pop out but not this?? anyone ever had this? it just seems odd to me. on another note 5k feels great out of that lil bugger till i broke :oops: it dose need more carb she was weeseing abit..

yup, I've seen rotted out freeze plugs many times its fairly common on chevys (some years used steel plugs) replace 'em with brass plugs and you should be good for a very long time (replace them all or chances are you will have another fail in short order)

8) i have torn down a few engine that the only reason the core plugs were not leaking was the thick coat of paint on them.

When I first got my '63 Wagon, it ran pretty well for a barn find but was dirty from years of storage, I took the power washer to it to clean it up and promptly blew a hole in a freeze plug in the head from the pressure. I did a temporary "quik-epoxy" fix - stuffing it it in the plug . Surprisingly it held for the five years I drove it til Iswapped the engine.

Powerrband

My '76 Old Cutlass with a 260 (most worthless engine any OEM ever made) had a leak on the bottom of one of the freeze plugs. Luckily worked at a car dealership at the time. So the car was put on a hoist, used a very long 3/8" extension and a ball peen hammer to knock the welsh plugs out. Cleaned the holes with some sandpaper, and tapped new plugs in. If I remember correctly, I used a socket about the same dia as the plug to drive them back in. You want to put them in as flat as possible. I replaced all of them because I figured that if one went the rest weren't too far behind. Drove the car for a couple more years and they never leaked.

Mugsy 8)

:D Years ago,a friend of mine got tired of almost constant core plug problems.He finally used a LARGE pipe tap and used pipe plugs in the core plug holes.Problem solved.
Leo

I've lost em before - but never had a problem replacing them.

Btw, next time you think you have a head gasket problem, might want to compression check it first.

I threaded the center plug holes on my 289... make the block more ridged.
Would suck if you needed the relief of that hole to save the block....

Frank

Back