Who has put a port divider into an OZ head?

kukm66

Famous Member
I will start the process of having the port divider into my OZ head. The spring will be removed inside.

How many have successfully had it welded in without it coming loose?

Who here had holes drilled and tapped and screwed in the divider?

Was the divider a direct fit? As I understand it, the structure is slightly different inside the chamber dividing wall.

I'm working on that same thing...the port divider that most are buying is very large compaired to the Oz head port its going to take a lot of grinding.

Frank

I'd say don't do it. BTW, the "spring" is (was) your thermo choke heat coil.

Consider that Ford Australia sunk a lot of time into redesigning the head when they made the 2V. They supplied the vehicles with headers, from the factory - that wouldn't have been cheap.

Now... If the Ford engineers believed that the divider was actually going to make a difference, they would have used a heat coil on the headers, and designed a divided centre exhaust port.

Besides that, the one cracked I know of (aside from Mike's pair) was almost certainly broken by someone wailing on it with a hammer, trying for a snug fit with the port divider.

By the time you add up time invested, debatable gain, and the risk of head damage, it's not worth it.

Here you go. They even have a part number on a little tag. ARD1DE-9430-BC No longer available as a factory part.

i had it done too my aussie head. it costed me $160.00 just for the fit,weld,and surface plain. my total bill was $467.00. it is not running. trying too get body work done. but here is some pics....
2007_0723divider0004.jpg

2007_0723divider0005.jpg

2007_0723divider0006.jpg

Yeah, my vote is don't bother. Opinions on it go both ways, but no one has actually shown any gain by adding it. Many have shown headaches by adding it. ;)

I agree.

First, I'm sure Ford put quit a bit of effort into designing the head, and came to the conclusion that there was no reason to split the ports. In fact, maybe an advantage? I've never heard of anyone doing a dyno test to prove it out, one way or the other.

Secondly, we've had a lot of members go to the expense of installing port dividers, only to pull them back out because they broke loose and rattle like heck. All that have done this, said they felt no difference with the divider in, or out.

The only firm statement anyone has made, is that they are a pain in the neck. Especially when they break loose.

I say forget it....... and put your money where it counts.

As I remarked in a PM recently, it may help in near steady state WOT conditions. That is, pedal to the metal at 5500 on a track.

However, street driven motors essentially never achieve steady state operation at WOT. You screw up the power far more with throttle pedal action, richening it with squirts from the accelerator pump or affecting the airflow with the changed throttle blade positions.

That a loosened port divider can rattle, shows one of two things IMO. The expansion of the head, or the loss of bonding material (chunks of MIG falling who knows where)... If it's the former, then you should worry about the constraining effect of firmly attaching something that didn't have the same coefficient of expansion!

Regards, Adam.

Back