replacing piston rings

kevinl1058

Has anyone replaced piston rings and honed the cylinders without removing the engine.. just dropping the oil pan? After getting my head done I getting blow by on shifts and during decleration. Yes blue smoke as I figured that when i got the head done I may run into this problem. Plenty of room to just drop the pan and do a 240 grit hone and put new rings on the pistons?

Yup!
Just pull the head, drop the pan, unbolt the rods, pull the pistons and start honing.
Just make sure you don't push your hone down to far. ie. don't hit the crank! If you rotate the crank for each cyl. then it'll make a little more room.
Do a good cleaning of the cyl. walls and crankshaft prior to reinstalation.

Have fun!
Will

I've done it also. Fairly simple. Just keep all of your pistons/rods/caps in order. I did have to lift the engine a few inches to clear something but it shouldnt be that much trouble if you have too.

Also, keep your lifters in order. If for some reason you remove the rocker assembly and roll the engine upside-down, the lifters fall into the valley and get nice and mixed up... :roll:

give me your opinion.. I'm only getting smoke on shifts and deceleration..Light smoke.. Before I had the head done it would smoke at idle. WHat do you guys think it could be.. I know eventually I simply Hone job and rings should cure any problems..

what did you have done on the head.. Mine heads seeps like this threw the valve guide I knurled....One of these days I'll get to fixxing it.

Frank

Back