I need small block 200 dimensions!!

pacer

I am looking at butchering my triumph tr7 and slamming in a 'small block' 6 in it:D I am curious to know the dimensions of the ford 200ci 6. What i am not sure of is the dimensions of a rear sump oil pan used in the fairmonts "I believe that was what the fairmonts and fox bodied mustangs came with" The Tr7 has a K styled cross member up front so a rear sump oil pan is a must!!!! Right now I have a ford 2.8L v6 setup in this car and I have always wanted a inline setup in it!! So basically if someone could give me some dimensions or a website with this info I'd appreciate it!! Thanks

it will be tight as far as the pan. the oil pump is at the front of the motor (kinda) and falls right over the fox steering rack so that really limits you.

I have a loose pan I could make a templete of and snail mail you if you want.

I would appreciate that!!! :D The TR7 has a very large engine bay do to the fact it was ultimately designed for the 3.5L Rover V8. Obviously the problem will be sloped hood! Oh well I dont really need a hood on the car :LOL: I have measured out a template for the ford six but its not 100% accurate The dimensions are 29" long X 24" high with no oil pan reliefs.

well I have a motor on a stand with a fox pan under it right now I can templete for you. I might be able to even do something with a Aussie XFlow motor too.

pacer":11l5ny34 said:
I would appreciate that!!! :D The TR7 has a very large engine bay do to the fact it was ultimately designed for the 3.5L Rover V8. Obviously the problem will be sloped hood! Oh well I dont really need a hood on the car :LOL: I have measured out a template for the ford six but its not 100% accurate The dimensions are 29" long X 24" high with no oil pan reliefs.

Actually I think the original intent was to offer the car with the Triumph designed SOHC engine as found in the Stag, but production and financial problems precluded that. There were actually several prototype V8 TR7's built with DOHC Dolomite heads. Very powerful, but again, never made it to production.

The TR7 engine compartment is rather large and the most common swap is the 3.8 Buick V6. There are several companies that offer kits and it seems relatively straight forward. The other "sorta easy" swap is the ubiquitous small block Chevy. Even a very pedestrian SBC would offer a big power gain, and with aluminum heads and intake would probably not affect weight distribution too much.

Again, while I love the small ford six, this is probably not the best swap to make. The packaging on the engine makes it hard to do and unless committed to serious engine upgrades, you end up with no more power than you originally had with the 4-banger.

A small alloy V6 will flatter the dynamics most. Taking it back to TR-6 territory (sort of) with a cast iron straight six is somewhat retrograde.

Rover eights are wide; a 302 or 350 is much more compact.

Jack - the 16V Dolomite ran a single overhead cam, and the lobes operated both intake and exhaust. Lots of work to restore or vary from OEM specs!

addo":au36vz5h said:
Jack - the 16V Dolomite ran a single overhead cam, and the lobes operated both intake and exhaust. Lots of work to restore or vary from OEM specs!

I always thought the Dolomites were DOHC....thanks for the clarification.

anyway, here's a tr7 engine bay with a Buick 3.8 installed. The SBC would easily fit, although the bonnet catch would need relocation. As you can probably visualize, a 200 might be a packaging problem due to height and length, not to mention the lack of power once you had it done. Many modifications lie ahead to make it a good swap.
engine01.jpg

I have never really understood the fascination with the Buick Rover 3.5. It is not really very much smaller than the small block Ford or Chevy, and it is only about 100 lobs lighter than either the Ford or Chevy when you equip them with alloy heads and manifolds. A 300 hp SBF or SBC is very easy, but a 300 hp rover is a big task due to cylinder heads and displacement.

Back