Really low Oil Pressure

matt1967

Famous Member
Today, I fired up my 200 turbo engine, had no oil preassure registering, so to rule out the turbo being the cause, I disconnected it, and plugged the fitting hole, that the line went to, I also plumbed in an external gauge right to the T block coming out of the engine, that I had for my fuel preassure. I get on that gauge, 3 PSI at idle, 5 at a 2k rpm fast idle, it will go to 10 if revved up. bearing clearences were fine when the motor was rebuilt., any ideas? It didn't sound like it hurt anything, but I have to assume the worst.

Oh, I have a mech oil preassure gauge plumbed into the passanger compt, with 1/8" copper, it bounces a little and thats it.

8) check the pressure relief valve, and the oil pump pick up. if the pick up is loose you will be sucking air, and if the relief valve is stuck open, or the spring is weak you will be pushing air.

any way to pull the pan on a '67 falcon in the car? I can't pull the motor right now, have no equipment here. so if that's the only fix or place to check, I guess I'll have to put the car up for now. :(

Bort62":1tqen7j6 said:
Wait - didn't you have an oil system problem you posted about just a little while ago ?

yes I did, needed to get oil to turbo. now I have that taken care of.

the thing is, it dosn't sound like it has no preassure, could air in the 1 mech gauge be causing havoc w/ both gauges? clearences were dead on when I built the motor, and oil pump was a new Melling pump.

Bort62":3bz1rg3o said:
Air could be causing problems, but I doubt like you describe.

Is oil getting to the rockers?

yes, oil comes up to the rockers, there the yella terra full rollers.

How long did you run it for? Less than about seven pounds at idle is what I'd consider a danger area...

Could you make and tee in a pressure vessel (like a catch tank) filled with a pint of oil and pressurize it to a constant 40PSI, just to see if there are any huge "leaks" with the rocker cover off?

It is possible it's the gauge. I find it hard to believe you would only be seeing 3 psi but still getting oil distributing up to the rockers.

addo":2qj0i7rh said:
How long did you run it for? Less than about seven pounds at idle is what I'd consider a danger area...

Could you make and tee in a pressure vessel (like a catch tank) filled with a pint of oil and pressurize it to a constant 40PSI, just to see if there are any huge "leaks" with the rocker cover off?

mebbe 20 mins, but not at once.

where the stock rocker assembly gets oil under that end hold down bolt, does that galley need plugged w/ the yella terra rockers? if so, that's the problem

If it could otherwise flow oil (as in, not covered by the Y/T pedestals) then yes, probably a cause of some oil pressure loss.

IIRC, some people drill and tap the block for a threaded plug where this gallery meets the head gasket.

20 minutes! :shock: I'd be getting a UOA before any more runtime.

Well, I just built the oil preassure test resivore, that I will preassurise to 40 lbs with air behind the oil. should hold a few quarts of Oil.

Did the pressure all go away at once? It was good on shut down then not on the next fire up? Or did it gradually get worse?

Did the pressure all go away at once? It was good on shut down then not on the next fire up? Or did it gradually get worse?

Back