The ever elusive perfect exhaust note...

CobraSix

2K+
VIP
I finally found mine!

3 years ago when I swapped to the Aussie head, I ended up putting a pair of Flowmaster 50s in the back with no X or H pipe. The reason for no crossover was the limits I put on the exhaust shop. I told them I did not want the exhaust pipes visible when you looked at the side of the car. to do they, they were tucked into the driveshaft hump and there was no real room for a cross over with the T5 and the additional plating for the convertible.

My opinion of flowmaster 50s were mixed. At Idle, they sounds good, but a little tinny for my taste. WOT made me grin from ear to ear. Highway cruising, I could hardly hear them with the top up or down. So far so good. But what killed me was the around town driving. The flowmaster drone was just killing me as I sounded like too many other inports on the streets.

I dealt with them for 2 years (mostly because the car was garaged for 1.5 years while I did a complete rebuild of the suspension and drivetrain). This spring, I finally could not take them anymore when I started the car up. As soon as it was road worthy, I took the car to the exhaust shop and had mufflers changed out to generic Turbo mufflers. THe sound was as perfect for my 6 as I've heard. Nice deep note at idle, beefy under acceleration, and most importantly, no resonance. I'll try to get some audio of it posted next time I take it out.

BTW, I have 2 flowmaster 50s for sale...

since my muffler is pretty much beat im definatly in the market for a replacment. if i leave the stock exhaust all the way back you think turbo's would still be the way to go?

I have one, and it sounds pretty dang good. It IS fairly loud, though quieter than the glasspack I had on there before. Could be loud because my foot is always near the floor too :D

I have a generic turbo muffler from Summit on my otherwise stock setup and I think it sounds just about perfect. The "tone" of the exhaust is similar to the stock muffler, but with just a bit more volume at idle and a nice healthy increase when you mash the pedal. I plan on installing my Clifford dual-out headers some day and having two turbo mufflers--one on each side of the gas tank. (I don't mind them being visible from the sides of the car.)

The one I have on there now is a 2.25" offset/offset model. I think if I went to a center inlet and offset outlet, it would fit even better (right now the muffler is a bit low.)

I had the same experience about a year ago. I ditched my magnaflows for a no-name turbo and have been much happier with the tone...much more enjoyable to drive and I still feel like I have a good sound out of the pipe when I give it the gas.

when I was running my glasspacks I LOVED them after I put turndowns on them, it made a decent difference and enough for me to liek them again (they exited before the axle) but when I switched to the new turbo setup I wanted something different. This new exhaust made it nearly impossible for me to wipe the grin off my face. I ran a straight 3" pipe with all manderel bends out the passenger side. Sounds like a crappy farm tractor... lol but trust me THATS not what kept the smile on my face it was the cruising through town. At 45 you could hear the turbo quite well... infact well enough to echo off nearby buildings, and make your neighboring drivers wonder what the hell was wrong with your car. anyone who knew what it was would usualyu smile and pass me and slow back down when they saw the fmic in the grill. man I miss driving tha thing. lol sorry guys im sitting here throwing myself a pitty party... lol

ight guys i think im going to go order a turbo muffler from somewhere :LOL:

any ideas?

i'll lt youknow how it goes

go to the nearest auto parts place... they are like $20 8)

Mine were under $15 from Summit racing. Factoring the flat rate shipping/handling charge, $20 or so from your local parts store may be a better deal if you just want one.

FWIW, a lot of the V8 SHO guys love the "Bullet" brand turbo mufflers. They have a nice throaty sound when you open it up, but are much mellower and less annoying than Flowmasters and most open-chamber designs. They are stainless, so they cost a bit more, but they last forever. Here's one link I found http://www.expressdistributing.com/cart/cgi-bin/Html/Products/bullet_proturbo.htm

(I'm sure there are other distributors, but Googling "Bullet muffler" throws back so much ricer crap and Harley stuff, it's hard to track down the "good" links.)

Wow, I'm impressed that you have found a nice note out of a twin system on a 250 crossflow. Just a quick question, by turbo muffler, do you mean those cannon things that the Skylines/Supras etc have on or are you referring to some kind of high flow normal shaped muffler?

hasa68mustang":1bl03ely said:
man I miss driving tha thing. lol sorry guys im sitting here throwing myself a pitty party... lol

Lol, don't worry, I can sympathise with that, I haven't driven my beast since early January when I fried a piston, soo many good memories :) A new motor/gearbox is in now though so once I get the new instruments working, I can take it out for a nice run, I really don't want to destroy another motor!

Nah, we're not talking about ricer fart cannons.

The correct use of the term "turbo muffler" (or "turbo-style muffler") refers to the internal construction being a continuous length of exhaust tubing, perforated and bent so it is shaped like an "S" inside the muffler case. This results in a sound that is a bit louder than stock, but not as aggressive as other performance mufflers. They are usually the standard oval shape, but they could be a cylindrical shape as well. (See the link in my previous post.)

"Chambered" performance mufflers have an inlet tube and an outlet tube, but they are not directly connected inside the muffler. Instead the exhaust gases enter the muffler, then bounce around inside the muffler case and then exit. Depending on the type and arrangement of baffles inside the case of the muffler, the sound is altered. Usually, if the muffler has more baffles (creating separate chambers inside the case) is quiets the exhaust flow a little more, but generally speaking if it is marketed as a performance muffler it's going to be a bit louder than a turbo muffler. "Open chamber" or "single chamber" designs are the loudest mufflers in the conventional shape, as it's not much more than a big empty can that the sound waves echo around inside.

i was planning to go with my duel outlet clifford header a crossover pipe then two original cherry bombs out to two 68 duel tips. i am afraid this will be too loud. any sugestions? thanks

idk, i like the cherry bomb sound mine has. For a while i ran without any muffler, which i loved under acceleration and idle, but while cruising droned horribly (and i mean horribly) probably the only fun part was that i could set off car alarms just by starting it.

Now that i have the cherry bomb though, its idle sound is nice and deep, and accelleration is cool. At first it had a wierd buzzing noise, but that is gone now for the most part. I love it and don't think i'll go with any other type of muffler since i can't really beat 25 bucks anyways price wise :p.

rommaster2":4g4l4zz2 said:
Now that i have the cherry bomb though, its idle sound is nice and deep, and accelleration is cool. At first it had a wierd buzzing noise, but that is gone now for the most part. I love it and don't think i'll go with any other type of muffler since i can't really beat 25 bucks anyways price wise :p.

stock header or dual?
and does it end at the cherry bombs?
"sounds" like a nice setup im guessing...

stock exhaust manifold for now, single pipe to a flowmaster then a little more going out to a turndown past my exhaust. Its a piece of crap in terms of exhaust pipe (i really need a new setup, just need to find the time to get it done) cause its the stock (40 year old) exhaust and its all rusty and saggy and my hanger broke recently.

I have headers going into two cherry bomb glasspacks then dual 2" pipes that dump in front of the rear wheels. Its quiet enough at idle and is reasonable most of the time, but it gets LOUD when I get on the throttle :eek: it will set off car alarms when I drive by with my foot on the gas.

sounds great to me!

Once I fix my cracked flex plate and go ahead and finish up my incomplete front end work I'm going to exhaust (dual out headers to x pipe and double glass packs is soundin' good to me right now...) =)

Wilhelmus":2o1wf9g4 said:
Once I fix my cracked flex plate and go ahead and finish up my incomplete front end work I'm going to exhaust (dual out headers to x pipe and double glass packs is soundin' good to me right now...) =)

oooooooh looks like u and me are on the same page then :)
everything exept my flex plate though
tell me how ur exhaust goes once u get at it!

The x pipe will not help performance any and mine sounds fine without it.

I agree. In fact short of some extensive testing to prove it I believe the x-pipe will actually hurt the performance of flow thru the full length of the pipe.

The Inline has a true 180 degree firing order. With all things being equal (collector lengths), the exhaust pulse thru the pipe will be evenly spaced until there is a disruption in the pipe like the X.

It is cheaper to leave it out as well.

Good luck, Ric.

Back