worst cylinder head?

A

Anonymous

Hey there, I looked thru the forums but couldn't find the answer to this:

I have a 200 ci motor in my 60 falcon. The motor came from a 1980 Mustang with all the smog equipment - coffee can, pump, etc. Got rid of all that but the intake manifold had a big EGR valve attached to it just below where the carb sits. Got rid of that and fabricated a plate to cover the opening where the EGR valve connected.

I am thinking of getting the head milled and a valve job. Do I use this head or is it the "undesirable " one as described in the FalconPerf Handbook?

casting number is E0BE-6080-BB

Thanks!

Altho, I have to say with the impending avaliability of the AL heads, I would be very reticent to spend any money on a log head at this point.

By the time you get one "performance" modded, you are going to be close to 50% of the cost of the Aluminum head.

Also, I bet that as soon as the AL heads start shipping - there are going to be a lot of perfectly good modded log heads for sale cheap on here :)

the egr is connectd into the spacer between the intake and carb. has nothing to do with the head. just get a carb spacer from the early 70's w/o the egr mounting

250mav":2zdwhas9 said:
the egr is connectd into the spacer between the intake and carb. has nothing to do with the head. just get a carb spacer from the early 70's w/o the egr mounting

Maybe I named it wrong. On the actual intake manifold, just below where the carb sits there is a another cast iron piece bolted on with two large bolts.

It comes away from the manifold perpendicular about 3" and on top there is a large round metal valve with a vaccum nipple on it. Looks like an EGR valve.

When I removed it, where it mates up to the manifold, there is a hole the size of a quarter. I put a plate over it.

yup. that's pre 1980 heads. on my D8 head, I used the factory EGR spacer, cleaned it in the parts washer after removing the EGR, fabbed and slapped on
a block off, installed with factory EGR studs and EGR gasket, worked great.

Back